Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Owen Corpening <oc...@acornsys.com> on 2005/06/29 15:55:54 UTC

when is .98 due?

I could not discern the schedule from the website, my apologies, hopefully
this is an easy question. I just don't want to base my project on unleased
code.

owen

Re: when is .98 due?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Jul 1, 2005, at 1:03 AM, Andreas Fester wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to take this to discuss one thing I thought about
> when working on log4cxx and creating the Debian packages:
>
>    Is 0.9.8 really the correct version number?
>
> Background: The SO_NAME of the 0.9.7 library was "9", so we have to
> change it before log4cxx is released, because 0.9.8 is not
> binary compatible with 0.9.7.
> Straightforward, we should change the SO_NAME to "10".
>
> Then, things would be more clear if the release version is
> called 0.10, so that subsequent (binary compatible) bugfix
> releases can be named 0.10.1, 0.10.2, and so on.
>
> Any comments?

Good point.  The 0.9.8 name was just a continuation of the existing
pattern.

Re: when is .98 due?

Posted by Andreas Fester <An...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

I would like to take this to discuss one thing I thought about
when working on log4cxx and creating the Debian packages:

    Is 0.9.8 really the correct version number?

Background: The SO_NAME of the 0.9.7 library was "9", so we have to
change it before log4cxx is released, because 0.9.8 is not
binary compatible with 0.9.7.
Straightforward, we should change the SO_NAME to "10".

Then, things would be more clear if the release version is
called 0.10, so that subsequent (binary compatible) bugfix
releases can be named 0.10.1, 0.10.2, and so on.

Any comments?

Thanks,

	Andreas

Curt Arnold wrote:
> There is a bug tracking the blocking bugs for the 0.9.8 release:
[...]

Re: when is .98 due?

Posted by Andreas Fester <An...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Re: when is .98 due?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
There is a bug tracking the blocking bugs for the 0.9.8 release:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-62.  Not a fixed schedule
for it, but long overdue.  But close enough that we could probably do
an initial release candidate in relatively short order (weeks not
months).  There are some project bylaw and process issues that will
need to be addressed before log4cxx could release anything.  Won't go
into that here, but will posting something in logging-general to
restart that discussion.