Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Crossley, Jim" <Jc...@tandbergtv.com> on 2007/04/26 18:09:04 UTC

Releasing a branch?

I used the release plugin to successfully release version 2.0.2.1 of our
project.  We continued working on the HEAD targeting version 2.0.3 while
QA tested 2.0.2.1.  To address bugs reported against that release, we
created a 2.0.2 branch in CVS.  We applied our fixes there.

Now it's time to create version 2.0.2.2 from that 2.0.2 branch.  When I
attempt to run release:prepare, it immediately fails because the version
is not a SNAPSHOT.  Of course it's not a snapshot.  It's a released
version requiring bug fixes.

What did I do wrong?  Is the maven release model such that releases are
only ever cut from the HEAD?  How do you account for
"bugfixes-without-new-features" then?

Do I need to manually update the versions of all the subprojects myself
and then manually tag it?  It seems kinda silly to change all the
versions to 2.0.2.1-SNAPSHOT just so I can have the release plugin
change them to 2.0.2.2!  I may as well do that myself and eliminate the
middle man, right?

Having the release plugin automatically update all the versions of my
multi-module project is a beautiful thing.  It seems kind of arbitrary
to me that the feature only works when the existing version contains the
suffix, "-SNAPSHOT", doesn't it?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>.
On 4/27/07, Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at> wrote:
> Branching (as I've stated a couple of time now) is an issue, which I feel can
> and should be automated. However, the merging of code is something that I
> feel should be left with manual intervention.
>
> Some bugs that have been fixed in a branch, may have been solved in the head
> already by e.g. implementing a new feature (maybe you stumbled upon the bug
> or you had to refactor some code and fixed the bug without knowing). So, in
> my opinion, the merging must remain a manual process.

 I fully agree, I am not proposing that it should be automated. The
issue is, even if the difficulties you mentioned don't come up, there
is one place where you *always* get conflicts, namely the version
fields in the POMs.

Henry

Re: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>.
Branching (as I've stated a couple of time now) is an issue, which I feel can
and should be automated. However, the merging of code is something that I
feel should be left with manual intervention.

Some bugs that have been fixed in a branch, may have been solved in the head
already by e.g. implementing a new feature (maybe you stumbled upon the bug
or you had to refactor some code and fixed the bug without knowing). So, in
my opinion, the merging must remain a manual process.

However, don't let me keep you from exploring things that might help you in
your development-process! Keep turning the issue around, and maybe you even
find a solution that makes me change my mind! ;-)

--
Roland Asmann

CFC Informationssysteme Entwicklungsgesellschaft m.b.H
Bäckerstrasse 1/2/7
A-1010 Wien
FN 266155f, Handelsgericht Wien

Tel.: +43/1/513 88 77 - 27
Fax.: +43/1/513 88 62
Email: Roland.Asmann@cfc.at
Web: www.cfc.at

Re: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Re: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>.
Jim,

RE: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>.
On Thursday 26 April 2007 22:38, Crossley, Jim wrote:
> Hi.
>
> "Rapha l Pi roni" <ra...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > is this dumb?
>
> Nope.

Definitely not dumb!

> > do that need a enhancement jira?
>
> Yep.  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-226

Not sure about this though.. I think it should be a seperate plugin, but maybe
extending the release-plugin is a good idea... At least it's an option I'll
consider when analyzing/designing it

RE: Releasing a branch?

Posted by "Crossley, Jim" <Jc...@tandbergtv.com>.
Hi.

"Rapha l Pi roni" <ra...@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> is this dumb?

Nope.

Re: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi

2007/4/26, Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>:
> On 4/26/07, Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at> wrote:
> > As I see it, you just described the only solution that works. I may be wrong
> > here, so if any of the maven-programmers think I am: please DO tell me!
> > No matter how you assign the version-numbers, fact remains that maven can
> > not 'automatically' handle branching.
> >

> As I see it there are two solutions:
> 1) starting the maintenance branch before the release and doing the
> release on the branch, in this case you have to manually adjust the
> version on the trunk.
>
> 2) doing the release on the trunk and starting the maintenance branch
> from the tagged version, in this case the version has to be manually
> updated on the branch.

Maybe the release plugin should be enhanced with a create-branch option that:
create a branch (named '${tag}.x) from the tag,
checkout the project from the branch in target/checkout directory,
change the checkouted poms versions (say ${tag}.1-SNAPSHOT)
then commit the branch

and you get rid of the manual adjustment.

is this dumb? do that need a enhancement jira?

Raphaël

Re: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>.
As I see it, you just described the only solution that works. I may be wrong
here, so if any of the maven-programmers think I am: please DO tell me!
No matter how you assign the version-numbers, fact remains that maven can
not 'automatically' handle branching.

I feel that there should be a plugin that you can tell to 'create a branch
from version xxx', which will then create a branch in your SCM (if it
supports that, not all of 'em do!), checks out version xxx, updates the
version-number to a new SNAPSHOT-version and commit that again.

I noticed in the API of the SCM-plugin that it knows the branch-command, it is
however not given as a goal on the plugin-page... Maybe it hasn't been
released yet, I don't know. I do believe however that the SCM-plugin per
default will not do the checkout and updating, so maybe a new plugin for
those kind of things is needed?

As I just wrote, I hope to get around to some testing and maybe even writing a
little bit of plugin next week. I'll keep everyone informed on my progress.

RE: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>.
Hi Jim,

RE: Releasing a branch?

Re: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing a branch?

Posted by Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>.
On 4/26/07, Crossley, Jim <Jc...@tandbergtv.com> wrote:
> I used the release plugin to successfully release version 2.0.2.1 of our
> project.  We continued working on the HEAD targeting version 2.0.3 while
> QA tested 2.0.2.1.  To address bugs reported against that release, we
> created a 2.0.2 branch in CVS.  We applied our fixes there.

I think, it was a bad move not to start 2.0.2.2-SNAPSHOT before you
started the bug fixing. If a developer did a mvn install or deploy,
the 2.0.2.1 version was overwritten by something that is not 2.0.2.1
anymore.

> Now it's time to create version 2.0.2.2 from that 2.0.2 branch.  When I
> attempt to run release:prepare, it immediately fails because the version
> is not a SNAPSHOT.  Of course it's not a snapshot.  It's a released
> version requiring bug fixes.
>
> What did I do wrong?  Is the maven release model such that releases are
> only ever cut from the HEAD?  How do you account for
> "bugfixes-without-new-features" then?
>
> Do I need to manually update the versions of all the subprojects myself
> and then manually tag it?  It seems kinda silly to change all the
> versions to 2.0.2.1-SNAPSHOT just so I can have the release plugin
> change them to 2.0.2.2!  I may as well do that myself and eliminate the
> middle man, right?

The good thing is, you have to do it only once per branch. The release
plugin will prepare the next SNAPSHOT version for you. But I agree, a
plugin to change a release version to the next snapshot version would
be handy.

- Henry