Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org> on 2004/06/18 09:36:30 UTC

XMLBeans and the XML Federation

Berin (and everyone else at XML with an opinion),

Based on the post below, I think it's time to discuss the best
post-incubation path for XMLBeans.  It appears that both the XMLBeans and
Incubator communities may be ready to vote for XMLBeans to graduate from
Incubation.  So my first question is:
Do you (and the rest of the XML PMC) agree we should go ahead with this
now?

The other issue is where XMLBeans lives after incubation.  It seems that
becoming a TLP associated with the XML Federation would be consistent with
the direction of other sizeable XML projects.  I understand the
rationale behind having a PMC composed of people with enough oversight
of the project's code base to be able to protect the interests of the
ASF.
Do you agree this makes sense for the ASF?

Finally, if XMLBeans is to become a TLP, what do you think about the
difference between graduating directly into a TLP vs. into an XML
subproject and then asking the Board for a resolution forming a new TLP?
I've actually already used your Xerces Board resolution as a template for
XMLBeans.  So I could propose a vote to go directly to a TLP today, if
that seemed like the right thing to do.  See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org&msgNo=10.

Shall we use this resolution (after filling in names of PMC members) to go
right to a vote to leave Incubation and propose a new TLP to the board, or
shall we just move into the XML project and deal with the TLP issue later?

Thanks,
Cliff

From: Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com>
Subject: The 50% Rule (was RE: [Summary ]Re: [TEST+VOTE] Lenya 1.2
Release)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:14:51 -0400

Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote on Monday, June 14, 2004 11:46 PM:
> > Understanding that "BEA has absolutely no intention of dropping
> > support of the XMLBeans project", do you feel that XMLBeans is ready
> > to leave the Incubator, or would it benefit from further stay?

> I think XMLBeans is ready to leave the Incubator.

> > How do others in the community feel?

> They seem to agree (mostly non-BEA folks, many non-committers, plus
> our mentor and sponsor)

> Should I call a vote of the XMLBeans PPMC for graduation on the
> incubator list as Geronimo did last month?

Seems so, Cliff.  Check (and update) your STATUS.  Where is XMLBeans
going?
How does XMLBeans entry into the XML project fit with the XML Federation
strategy?  I haven't answers, just asking that you line up your exit.
Berin
Lautenbach would probably have some thoughts.  If you're exiting into XML,
you won't need anything from the Board.  We'll just need to get the
Incubator and XML PMCs to do their thing.

 	--- Noel

Re: XMLBeans and the XML Federation

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Comments in line...

On Jun 18, 2004, at 4:07 PM, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Cliff,
>
> Speaking as a member of the XML PMC, I'm happy with whatever way fits
> best for the XMLBeans community (I see this as fundamentally a
> community question).
>
> To put in perspective, I'm now seeing the XML Federation as :
>
> 1.  a way to share and co-operate between related projects;
> 2.  a place to hold the small pieces of glue that hold together the
> other XML related projects (e.g. XML-Commons); and
> 3.  a place to build up smaller projects until they are comfortable
> becoming fully fledged projects.

Given the current direction of the foundation, there really isn't much
justification for 3. in this list.  If the board had its way, there
would be no subprojects whatsoever.

> So if you feel like you fit into 3 I'd support bringing you in under
> XML until you are ready to move out.  Given the XML PMC has voted to
> do that in the past, I'd be surprised if there were any significant
> difference in opinion on that amongst the XML PMC.  But it would *not*
> be a permanent thing.
>
> However, if as a community you would prefer to be "masters of your own
> destiny" right from the start, then go to TLP!  I'm also happy to help
> out making that happen.
>
> Speaking as a member of the Incubator PMC, I'd want to have a level of
> comfort that the community has the "critical mass" necessary to go to
> TLP and that the sponsors felt that this made sense.  I think that's
> true, but I think it needs to be validated for form's sake.
>
> I'd be interested in input from Steven and Ted - particularly on the
> last point.

I think that the right decision here is to go TLP.  Otherwise, it will
just have to be done at some later point.  If the community is strong
enough to graduate from the incubator, it should be strong enough to go
to TLP.  Association with the Federation is fine, but I think that we
should probably not be adding XML subprojects at this point.

Ted

> Cheers,
> 	Berin
>
> Cliff Schmidt wrote:
>> Berin (and everyone else at XML with an opinion),
>> Based on the post below, I think it's time to discuss the best
>> post-incubation path for XMLBeans.  It appears that both the XMLBeans
>> and Incubator communities may be ready to vote for XMLBeans to
>> graduate from Incubation.  So my first question is:
>> Do you (and the rest of the XML PMC) agree we should go ahead with
>> this now?
>> The other issue is where XMLBeans lives after incubation.  It seems
>> that
>> becoming a TLP associated with the XML Federation would be consistent
>> with
>> the direction of other sizeable XML projects.  I understand the
>> rationale behind having a PMC composed of people with enough
>> oversight of the project's code base to be able to protect the
>> interests of the ASF.
>> Do you agree this makes sense for the ASF?
>> Finally, if XMLBeans is to become a TLP, what do you think about the
>> difference between graduating directly into a TLP vs. into an XML
>> subproject and then asking the Board for a resolution forming a new
>> TLP? I've actually already used your Xerces Board resolution as a
>> template for XMLBeans.  So I could propose a vote to go directly to a
>> TLP today, if that seemed like the right thing to do.  See
>> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=xmlbeans-
>> dev@xml.apache.org&msgNo=10. Shall we use this resolution (after
>> filling in names of PMC members) to go right to a vote to leave
>> Incubation and propose a new TLP to the board, or shall we just move
>> into the XML project and deal with the TLP issue later?
>> Thanks,
>> Cliff
>> From: Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com>
>> Subject: The 50% Rule (was RE: [Summary ]Re: [TEST+VOTE] Lenya 1.2
>> Release)
>> Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:14:51 -0400
>> Cliff Schmidt wrote:
>>> ready
>>> I think XMLBeans is ready to leave the Incubator.
>>> They seem to agree (mostly non-BEA folks, many non-committers, plus
>>> our mentor and sponsor)
>>> Should I call a vote of the XMLBeans PPMC for graduation on the
>>> incubator list as Geronimo did last month?
>> Seems so, Cliff.  Check (and update) your STATUS.  Where is XMLBeans
>> going?
>> How does XMLBeans entry into the XML project fit with the XML
>> Federation
>> strategy?  I haven't answers, just asking that you line up your exit.
>> Berin
>> Lautenbach would probably have some thoughts.  If you're exiting into
>> XML,
>> you won't need anything from the Board.  We'll just need to get the
>> Incubator and XML PMCs to do their thing.
>>     --- Noel

----
Ted Leung                          Blog: <http://www.sauria.com/blog>
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42

Re: XMLBeans and the XML Federation

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Comments in line...

----