Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Ashok Rao <As...@o3bnetworks.com> on 2014/10/15 14:09:50 UTC

Hardware Recommendations for 1 Gbps forward proxy

Am looking at setting up a web cache which could support 1 Gbps of web traffic.
The application is web-caching at ISPs in Africa.

Looking for some guidelines for CPU, Cache, RAM, Hard Disk for 1 Gbps
Am leaning towards the new Xeon E5-2600v3 family which was launched in Sept 2014
A review of the series and performance can be found at Tom's Hardware.

The number of SKUs is mind boggling - would appreciate any guidance here

I don't want to overspecify this and spend a whole lot of $$ .
 The CPU cache size is usually  critical for networking type  applications.
 The E5-2600 with 10 cores @2.3 GHz and 2.5MBytes cache per core seems good

RAM - DDR4  would 64 GB be enough?
And SSD disk - say 500 GB?

Ashok Rao
O3b Networks
~

Re: Hardware Recommendations for 1 Gbps forward proxy

Posted by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com>.
Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 7:09:50 AM, you wrote:

> Am looking at setting up a web cache which could support 1 Gbps of web traffic.

My experience is that disk and memory do a lot more for ATS performance than CPU. Running out of CPU generally indicats a bug or misconfiguration. You can never have too much RAM for ATS.

For ISPs (forward proxy) cache size matters more than for reverse proxy, but the bigger your disk cache the more RAM you need.

My recommendation, then is to prioritize in the order RAM, disk, CPU.