Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/03/08 00:58:33 UTC

Can Apache host non-Apache Videos?

Hi,

Adobe is considering donating a bunch of Flex-related web-site articles
and assets to Apache.  These are some of the most visited how-to articles
on Flex, even today.  Adobe may someday take these articles off of its
servers, so it would be nice to have them archived somewhere.  However,
because the videos contain screenshots of Adobe Flash Builder, Adobe does
not want the videos re-licensed under AL2.0.

Sure, the Apache Flex community could re-create these videos, but that
takes time and energy.  So, I'm wondering if there is a way the ASF would
accept these videos for hosting on flex.a.o, but not require re-licensing.
 I know sometimes non-AL stuff gets put in "extras" or "deps" folders.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: Can Apache host non-Apache Videos?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
So, the videos are not licensed under AL-V2. What *is* their license?

--kevan

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/14/14 12:17 PM, "Shane Curcuru" <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

>On 3/14/14 3:09 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
>> Maybe third ping is a charm?
>
>Kevan wrote to ask what license the content actually would be under -
>which I guess you note below.
I guess my Spam filter at that.

>We have a FAQ for cc-sa 2.5/3.0 in products:
>
>http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa
>
>But what you seem to be asking is for non-product use; i.e.
>informational materials that will be displayed on our websites, but not
>provided in Apache software products that end users will download,
>correct?
Yes.  Although the videos can currently be downloaded from the web site.
We could change that in the Apache version if needed.  The link to the
Adobe version is here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/videotraining.html

>That's a good question: for supporting materials (i.e. things that are
>not code), do we allow a wider variety of licenses than for code?
>

>> An alternative is that the Apache Flex site could link to the Adobe
>>videos
>> hosted on some other external domain?  Adobe is may be willing to make
>>the
>> videos available under Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0.
>
>Just curious, why NoDerivatives?  Is it really just a $BigCo ensuring
>their branding on the content isn't mucked up?
I wouldn't use those words exactly, but that's my understanding.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 3/14/14 3:09 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
> Maybe third ping is a charm?

Kevan wrote to ask what license the content actually would be under -
which I guess you note below.

We have a FAQ for cc-sa 2.5/3.0 in products:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa

But what you seem to be asking is for non-product use; i.e.
informational materials that will be displayed on our websites, but not
provided in Apache software products that end users will download, correct?

That's a good question: for supporting materials (i.e. things that are
not code), do we allow a wider variety of licenses than for code?

> An alternative is that the Apache Flex site could link to the Adobe videos
> hosted on some other external domain?  Adobe is may be willing to make the
> videos available under Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0.

Just curious, why NoDerivatives?  Is it really just a $BigCo ensuring
their branding on the content isn't mucked up?

- Shane

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I was wondering about that option.  If nobody objects by Monday, I'll ask Adobe legal about it.

Thanks,
-Alex

From: Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, March 14, 2014 5:28 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <le...@apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Can Apache host non-Apache Videos?

Put them on YouTube and link to them.

Maybe third ping is a charm?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...So are you saying that Apache is open to accepting a
> donation of an unmodifiable video?...

Ah sorry- rereading this thread I see that I had missed the proposed
Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 license.

I agree that the "no derivatives" bit is problematic, as it puts the
burden on the Flex PMC to ensure that people abide by that clause. So
maybe just hosting elsewhere and linking to that place, as suggested,
is the best option.

-Bertrand

Re: Can Apache host non-Apache Videos?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/17/14 6:32 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 1:28 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> Put them on YouTube and link to them....
>
>This might be the ASF's infrastructure team's favorite way, but best
>is to check with them.
>
>In addition, you could ask infra about having a non-streamable archive
>of the videos on ASF infrastructure, so that they stay with the
>project, without burdening our bandwidth.
Hi Bertrand,  So are you saying that Apache is open to accepting a

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Maybe third ping is a charm?