Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by tsaha <Ta...@westernasset.com> on 2008/07/01 02:19:09 UTC

Exploded vs Archived deployments of config meta data

Is it possible to  create a jar consisting of all my config meta data (
wsdls, endpoints, sequences and etc ) and then refer from synapse.xml or
only exploded structure is supported?

Re: Exploded vs Archived deployments of config meta data

Posted by tsaha <Ta...@westernasset.com>.
Hi Ruwan:

Open the JIRA as per your request . Here is the link

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNAPSE-385

-Thanks
tanmay

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
I think we should be able to support this very easily by referencing a
JAR from the registry/repository, and then having a fixed synapse.xml.
We just need to make sure our URL Registry handler can do:

jar:// as a format

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Exploded vs Archived deployments of config meta data

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Tanmay

Ruwan Linton wrote:
> Hi Tanmay,
>
> Good point. I think we should be able to support archived repository and in
> this case it will be a read only repository. According to your case any way
> this is going to be read only right?
>
> BTW: One other option would be to use SVN as the repository so that one
> could easily point to a SVN location as the repository.
>
> Just to make it clear are you referring to the repository or the registry in
> the archived format here?
>
> Thanks,
> Ruwan
>
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:57 AM, tsaha <Ta...@westernasset.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi Ruwan:
>>
>> For deployment purposes single unit archive is more manageable. We can just
>> tell our operation team "Please deploy this jar or zip file to QA or PROD."
>>

>> -Thanks
>> tanmay
>>

>> Ruwan Linton wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tanmay,
>>>
>>> For the moment we do not support this. You cannot put them in a JAR and
>>> refer to it, but just the exploded structure. Can I know the requirement
>>> for
>>> you to put them on an archive?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ruwan

>>> --
>>> Ruwan Linton
>>> http://wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
>>> http://ruwansblog.blogspot.com/
>>>

>> --

Asankha C. Perera

WSO2 - http://wso2.org
http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: Exploded vs Archived deployments of config meta data

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Cool. It seems like this feature is an important feature to the community
and hence I would like to prioritize this issue over others.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by Gary Rudolph <Ga...@eharmony.com>.

Posted by Scott Hoggarth <sc...@concur.com>.

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Tanmay

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tanmay,

Please see my comments inline;

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 10:32 PM, tsaha <Ta...@westernasset.com> wrote:

> Hi Ruwan:
>
> I mean read-only repository . How do you really differentiate between
> Repository and Registry in Synapse?

We treat the place where you keep any xslts, scripts and configurations on
the file system as the repository and these will be directly referred in the
synapse configuration with the file: url and the registry can either be a
file system or a database or any other container where you access the
content through the Registry API provided by synapse.

> Definitely I can use SVN, but my strategy for deployment is to do a token
> replacement through Ant filtering for evironment related variables ( like
> hostname, port number in endpoint configuration and etc)
> while moving the config meta data from DEV --> QA --> UAT -->PROD. So I
> prefer shared file system Repository/Registry .

I got this point, I think this is possible as Paul suggested on a previous
post. Could you please file a JIRA for this? so that I can work on it
transparently.

> For many Proxy Deployment, I
> have decided to use more than one Synapse config file (Synapse1.xml,
> Synapse2.xml , Synapse3.xml .... ) and use case wise I will distribute the
> <proxy> elements among multiple Synapse config files, and the develop a
> startup script (using XQuery )which will aggregate all config elements from
> different synapse config files into a single Synapse.xml file .

Interesting ....

> Is it possible for Synapse to specify multiple config files during startup
> like Springframework ( where you can use more than one beans config file
> like
> applicationContext1.xml,applicationContext2.xml,applicationContext3.xml,
> and
> so on )? This will make maintenance and developers' easy  over a giant
> config file.

For the moment you can keep the bits of the configuration in separate files,
but you cannot pass different configurations at the startup. It should be
one main configuration and you can keep the proxy definitions on the
registry as different files. You may create a JIRA for this as well.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by tsaha <Ta...@westernasset.com>.
Hi Ruwan:

I am sorry. I mean it has to be both read-only Registry in the jar or zip
format.

-thanks
tanmay

Posted by tsaha <Ta...@westernasset.com>.
Hi Ruwan:

I mean read-only repository . How do you really differentiate between
Repository and Registry in Synapse?

Definitely I can use SVN, but my strategy for deployment is to do a token
replacement through Ant filtering for evironment related variables ( like
hostname, port number in endpoint configuration and etc)
while moving the config meta data from DEV --> QA --> UAT -->PROD. So I
prefer shared file system Repository/Registry . For many Proxy Deployment, I

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tanmay,

Posted by tsaha <Ta...@westernasset.com>.
Hi Ruwan: