Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mariano Absatz <el...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/19 22:18:42 UTC

newbie question: cocoon 2.1.7 with tomcat 4.1 (& j2sdk 1.4)

Hi,

I just downloaded & tried Cocoon 2.1.7 as instructed in
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/index.html

It ran just fine under the included Jetty.

Now I wanted to run it within tomcat.

I'm using:
Debian 3.1 (sarge, stable).
j2sdk 1.4.2.02-1 (Blackdown .deb)
tomcat 4.1.31-3 (standard .deb from Sarge)
cocoon 2.1.7 (tarball, not from CVS)

I googled around, but couldn't find specific instructions for tomcat
4.1... the closest match in
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/index.html seemed to be
4.0.4b1 (http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/index.html#Installing+on+Tomcat+4.0+-+4.0.1%2C+4.0.4b1)
so I tried that...

I built the .war and copied it under /var/lib/tomcat4/webapps, started
tomcat, but it yelded an error regarding access control.

As I saw the only difference in
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/index.html#Installing+on+Tomcat+4.0.4b1+LE+with+JDK+1.4.0
was the $CATALINA_OPTS setting, I tried that also, but the error was
the same...

>From the docs it seems to be quite different the setting from one
version of tomcat to another... does anyone have a good one that would
work with 4.1.31?

I left all the log files for a simple "tomcat start / tomcat stop"
cycle with and without cocoon installed in http://baby.com.ar/cocoon/
(the names should be obvious)...

For what I read there, it seems to be simply a permissions problem...
but the verbosity of the logfiles overwhelm me...

TIA

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
el (dot) baby (AT) gmail (dot) com

PS: I'm not only a newbie to cocoon, but also to tomcat and java in general :-(

[SOLVED] newbie question: cocoon 2.1.7 with tomcat 4.1 (& j2sdk 1.4)

Posted by Mariano Absatz <el...@gmail.com>.
2005/7/22, Mariano Absatz <el...@gmail.com>:
> 2005/7/21, holger.willenborg@armacell.com <ho...@armacell.com>:
> > It seems your tomcat runs with a Security Manager and that cocoon is not
> > allowed to write a temporary file.
> >
> > Anyone out there who has the correct entries for Tomcat's
> > conf/catalina.policy to run cocoon?
> >
> > Have you tried running Tomcat without Security Manager? (refer to Tomcat
> > manual)
> I'll look into it, thanx 4 the pointer, Holger.

Well, it was just that. I added
TOMCAT4_SECURITY=no
/etc/default/tomcat4
and that was it.

Again, thanx Holger for your help.

Re: newbie question: cocoon 2.1.7 with tomcat 4.1 (& j2sdk 1.4)

Posted by Mariano Absatz <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ho...@armacell.com.
> For what I read there, it seems to be simply a permissions problem...
> but the verbosity of the logfiles overwhelm me...

It seems your tomcat runs with a Security Manager and that cocoon is not
allowed to write a temporary file.

Anyone out there who has the correct entries for Tomcat's
conf/catalina.policy to run cocoon?

Have you tried running Tomcat without Security Manager? (refer to Tomcat
manual)

HTH
Holger