Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/23 18:16:31 UTC

Omid and Tephra

Justin and mentors of Omid and Tephra,

As Justin noted in his emails to these podlings this month both are very
low activity, struggling to even file their reports, and appear to be
candidates for retirement.

The situation here is somewhat special because Phoenix uses one or both of
these technologies (they are both transaction managers on top of HBase), so
they may have an interest in their continued survival.  Tephra briefly
discussed this last June[1], though nothing came of it.  My conclusion is
there is not enough momentum left for these podlings to vote themselves
into Phoenix without an external push.

So before we push them into retirement I believe we should involve the
Phoenix PMC and see if they want to adopt either or both of these, with the
knowledge that they will likely be getting minimal contributions from
current members of those projects going forward.  If others are ok with
this I can contact the Phoenix PMC and see if they wish to take any action
on this.

Alan.

1.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/87ace080ef8a967b238781979a8d9a0cb9607ac4a195d5937756ec66@%3Cdev.tephra.apache.org%3E

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
I like the idea of opt-in for committership for the current podling
membership (without any "time to respond" limitation). I don't foresee
any concerns doing that, but will shout if that becomes an issue.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense.  I've replied to the discussion in the Phoenix community so we
know what terms Tephra and Omid are voting on.  As soon as I hear from them
I'll start votes in both communities.

Alan.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
There appears to be consensus on this thread, as well as in the Phoenix
community[1] that it makes sense for Phoenix to adopt both Omid and
Tephra.  My mails to the Tephra and Omid communities[2][3] have gone
unanswered, so I assume silence implies consent.

According to [4] the first step of graduating into a sub-project of an
existing TLP is a vote by the podling.  Given that both podlings have very
low activity I am not sure we will get the necessary votes to make this
happen.  I can start the vote threads in each podling, but I believe we
should be ready to move forward without these votes passing due to lack of
participation.

The next step is for the Phoenix PMC to formally vote to accept the
podlings.  One question that I'd like to see resolved as part of this vote
is what status Phoenix plans to grant to Tephra and Omid committers and
PPMC members.  Normally I would expect that all podling committers become
TLP committers, but given the low participation it may make sense for
Phoenix to use an opt-in where podling committers need to affirm their
desire to continue on the project before being made committers.

Alan.

1.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ec00615cbbb4225885e3776f1e8fd071600a9c50f35769f453b8a779@%3Cdev.phoenix.apache.org%3E
2.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/21deb9e6fe0e929af38b9b712cc0a0779b170f6617b6dee21cfbc356@%3Cdev.tephra.apache.org%3E
3.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3fda8fe4517e7d78e4a38b75cce0d77e4514529d50249c190fcb3bda@%3Cdev.omid.apache.org%3E
4.
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#graduating_to_a_subproject

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/documents/grants/caskdata-tephra

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 3:55 PM Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...My current expectation is that we'd just rename the existing Git
> repositories and change the LDAP group which are used to determine write
> access...

From the Incubator's point of view, I think an additional step is to

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
(w/ VP Phoenix hat)

My current expectation is that we'd just rename the existing Git
repositories and change the LDAP group which are used to determine write
access. In other words, your Git repos will exist just as they do now,
but only at different coordinates.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Ohad Shacham <oh...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
+1, Thanks Alan.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org>.
+1  It seems to be the best option.
-Andreas

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1, good idea.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> So before we push them into retirement I believe we should involve the
> Phoenix PMC and see if they want to adopt either or both of these, with the
> knowledge that they will likely be getting minimal contributions from
> current members of those projects going forward.  If others are ok with
> this I can contact the Phoenix PMC and see if they wish to take any action
> on this.

Sounds like an excellent plan. +1

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Francisco Perez-Sorrosal <fp...@apache.org>.

On 2019/10/23 18:16:31, Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Justin and mentors of Omid and Tephra,
>
> As Justin noted in his emails to these podlings this month both are very
> low activity, struggling to even file their reports, and appear to be
> candidates for retirement.
>
> The situation here is somewhat special because Phoenix uses one or both of
> these technologies (they are both transaction managers on top of HBase), so
> they may have an interest in their continued survival.  Tephra briefly
> discussed this last June[1], though nothing came of it.  My conclusion is
> there is not enough momentum left for these podlings to vote themselves
> into Phoenix without an external push.
>
> So before we push them into retirement I believe we should involve the
> Phoenix PMC and see if they want to adopt either or both of these, with the
> knowledge that they will likely be getting minimal contributions from
> current members of those projects going forward.  If others are ok with
> this I can contact the Phoenix PMC and see if they wish to take any action
> on this.
>
> Alan.
>
> 1.
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/87ace080ef8a967b238781979a8d9a0cb9607ac4a195d5937756ec66@%3Cdev.tephra.apache.org%3E

+1 Looks like a good idea to me

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
+1. That seems like the best course of action IMHO.

Re: Omid and Tephra

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: Omid and Tephra