Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Davis Joseph <da...@iu.edu> on 2018/07/29 04:04:40 UTC

Progress so far on the website

This will only take a second or so,

I have made the admin and student dashboard but I want to hear some
feedback about whether or not you personally would use this website if you
were a student studying weather and climate. Or if you have any idea on how
to improve the site.

The discussions section will work like StackOverflow.

I've taken screen shots of the website layout and attached them.

Davis Joseph

RE: Progress so far on the website

Posted by "Miller, Mark" <mm...@sdsc.edu>.
Hi Davis,

I did not see much difference between the two screenshots.
So for an admin, I would expect to see prominently tools to manage accounts, and to see what users are doing.
But a lot for the admin depends on what tasks the admin is charged with
I do think the tools to accept and reject discussion items are relevant for admin.

For students, at least, I would tend to separate discussions into their own area/tab, and perhaps for admins as well.
I am easily distracted personally, and don’t like sites that bombard me with many ways to go when I come specifically to do work.
The four applications are given a lot of real estate, and I think this is unnecessary for the admin, she knows what they are.

For the student, this may work ok, if the number of apps is small. But if it grows to twenty you will/may have issues.
For a student I would expect prominent help areas, and a tab for how to use this maybe. I don’t know the workflow, but I think a “data” area would also be prominent,
For uploaded data that users can add to their jobs.

Again I don’t know the workflow, but I am not sure what will happen if I click application. Will I get a description, or will it spawn a window to configure a job. If the latter, where will the data come from? Will it be stored on the site? If the former, how to I get from the app to configuring jobs?
I might prefer an interface that has a “create a job” button, and then figure it out from there.

Those are my quick thoughts.

Mark