Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by David Hawthorne <dh...@3crowd.com> on 2010/12/06 22:08:36 UTC

questions about cassandra-1072/1546

Can we get an update?  After reading through the comments on 1072, it looks like this is getting close to finished, but it's hard for someone not knee-deep in the project to tell.  I'm primarily interested in the timeline you foresee for getting the increment support into trunk for 0.7, and some documentation around how counters will be supported from the user's perspective - chiefly what a Column and SuperColumn will look like with counters and what the thrift API will be.  Some documentation about the remaining issues and concerns we should be aware of when using counters would be good, too, since it looks like there were some in the comments.  Again, as someone not knee-deep in the project, it's hard to tell how severe they are or how or when they would apply in general use.

Re: questions about cassandra-1072/1546

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
You are right, the end is in sight for 1072 to be committed to trunk.

It won't be documented for end-users or committed to 0.7 branch until
we fix the drawbacks elaborated on the ticket, because that fixing
won't be backwards-compatible.  And at that point we'll probably be
close to the next major release so it may not make sense to backport
at all.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra