Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2015/09/27 16:35:09 UTC

Blog post: update on OpenOffice 4.1.2 status

A long overdue blog post on the 4.1.2 status is now online:
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/coming_soon_apache_openoffice_4

I regret that our tools do not really allow to review a post before
publishing it, but if there is anything to be fixed/modify just note it
here and I will fix it.

The Wiki page
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2
has also been updated accordingly (Kay, do you have a simple way to
produce updated Bugzilla searches to list in that wiki page? There are
still the 4.1.1 ones, but they should be replaced).

In short:
- Most of the code changes are already in the AOO410 branch.
- I will update the SNAPSHOT tag in a few hours
- It is time to focus on QA and final preparations

By final preparations I mean press release, release notes and website.

Do you think we should update the site headline to point to that blog
post? At least we would give visibility to what we have been doing recently.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Blog post: update on OpenOffice 4.1.2 status

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/27/2015 04:35 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> A long overdue blog post on the 4.1.2 status is now online:
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/coming_soon_apache_openoffice_4

thanks

> I regret that our tools do not really allow to review a post before
> publishing it, but if there is anything to be fixed/modify just note it
> here and I will fix it.
>
> The Wiki page
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2
> has also been updated accordingly (Kay, do you have a simple way to
> produce updated Bugzilla searches to list in that wiki page? There are
> still the 4.1.1 ones, but they should be replaced).
>
> In short:
> - Most of the code changes are already in the AOO410 branch.
> - I will update the SNAPSHOT tag in a few hours
> - It is time to focus on QA and final preparations
>
> By final preparations I mean press release, release notes and website.

Is there a rough list of bugfixes that can be formed into complete
sentences in the release notes?

> Do you think we should update the site headline to point to that blog
> post? At least we would give visibility to what we have been doing
> recently.

Sure, it would help to get more attention. But - as Kay mentioned it
already - the downloading the builds need to the ready and for that the
Win buildbot.

Marcus

Re: Blog post: update on OpenOffice 4.1.2 status

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 09/27/2015 03:19 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 27/09/2015 Kay Schenk wrote:
>> re BZ: I will work on this today. I was trying to do that a
>> week or so ago, but couldn't find a way to deal with
>> tracking by "Flag".
>
> In Bugzilla's Advanced search (this answers the question
> from Marcus too) one can do a "Custom Search" for "Flags" -
> "contains the string" - "4.1.2_release_blocker" and the
> system will show a list of bugs fixed or proposed for 4.1.2.

Ok, I finally got on with this. There was one little
additional trick.

>> When can we get actual RCs/test builds to use? Since the
>> "win" buildbot is still having issues, even you reset
>> SNAPSHOT, we will only have a few Linux builds to use for
>> testing.
>
> This is true for the buildbots. But probably our best option
> is NOT to use the buildbots for 4.1.2; if we manage to get
> snapshots from the same hardware used to build 4.1.1 it
> would be perfect. Let's see.

Sure. This makes sense. Hopefully the SNAPSHOTS will emerge
soon. :)

> Note: while the current snapshot is probably not the final
> 4.1.2 release, it is quite close. Most of the code changes
> are already in and are ready for testing. I expect that the
> next snapshot (no estimated date) will be our Release
> Candidate.
>
>>> Do you think we should update the site headline to point to
>>> that blog post? At least we would give visibility to what we
>>> have been doing recently.
>> We could do that. But I would feel better if we had test
>> build available first.
>
> Maybe we can wait a couple days, but I'd rather get
> volunteers first and builds later. Users will also
> appreciate to know that 4.1.2 is coming soon: we didn't give
> it any visibility except for this mailing list and the CWiki
> so far, and it was a mistake.

Well this is certainly a good point.

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

MzK

“The journey of a thousand miles begins
 with a single step.”
                          --Lao Tzu

Re: Blog post: update on OpenOffice 4.1.2 status

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 09/27/2015 07:35 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> A long overdue blog post on the 4.1.2 status is now online:
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/coming_soon_apache_openoffice_4

A nice blog.