Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/01/09 20:50:55 UTC

[vote] Accepting donated POI serializers/generators

Guys,

POI is a java library to read/write the M$ Office format.

You can read more at the current home of the effort:

 http://poi.sourceforge.net

I believe that being able to read/write (say generate/serialize in
Cocoon-ese) excel and word formats will be a *major* advantage of
Cocoon, expecially for my future goal of a full KMS system.

Using Word and Excel as editors for an native XML system will be, IMO,
*extremely* cool and would allow shops and offices to start moving their
legacy docs into the system without requiring commercial solutions.

POI has been proposed to donation to general@jakarta.apache.org. If
approuved will become a general java library since there is nothing
XML-related about it.

At the same time, the POI project contains some cocoon-specific code
that they would like to donate to us.

In order to accept the donation, we must vote.

Note: the donation will take place even if POI is not accepted under
Jakarta. In that case, Cocoon will ship POI as an external library (no
license problems since the entire thing is based on the apache license).

They already separated the cocoon-specific code into a package in order
to simplify the donation. They also would like to continue its
development since they believe that Cocoon will be one of the best
'users' of their library.

So, please, place your vote on the question below:

Would you like the cocoon-specific POI code to be hosted in the Cocoon
CVS and shipped with the next distribution (along with the POI library
in the /lib directory)?

Thanks.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [vote] Accepting donated POI serializers/generators

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 09.Jan.2002 -- 08:50 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Would you like the cocoon-specific POI code to be hosted in the Cocoon
> CVS and shipped with the next distribution (along with the POI library
> in the /lib directory)?

+1

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: [vote] Accepting donated POI serializers/generators

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Would you like the cocoon-specific POI code to be hosted in the Cocoon
> CVS and shipped with the next distribution (along with the POI library
> in the /lib directory)?

+1!

Ciao,

--
Gianugo

RE: [vote] Accepting donated POI serializers/generators

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Would you like the cocoon-specific POI code to be hosted in the Cocoon
> CVS and shipped with the next distribution (along with the POI library
> in the /lib directory)?

+1

RE: [vote] Accepting donated POI serializers/generators

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
>
> Would you like the cocoon-specific POI code to be hosted in the Cocoon
> CVS and shipped with the next distribution (along with the POI library
> in the /lib directory)?

+5.

Vadim

RE: [vote] Accepting donated POI serializers/generators

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
+1 on this!

  gerhard

I just found the last bug...

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
+1.

-- dims

=====

Re: [vote] Accepting donated POI serializers/generators

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.