Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2011/03/17 17:12:47 UTC

Re: plugin for CIDR matching

On 14.03.11 13:41, Markus Reschke wrote:
> Currently I'm writing a small SA plugin for checking if IP addresses of
> relaying MTAs (in the Received: lines) are within a list of defined CIDR
> blocks. Most admins filter specific CIDR blocks, e.g. from known SPAMming
> ISPs, at the MTA level. That way all emails from the given CIDR blocks
> are
> rejected. But some users like to get those emails too. There could be an
> important email or one from a potential customer - whatever. My SA plugin
> can solve that problem by adding a SPAM score to matching emails. The
> email may be flagged as SPAM but it's received.

running RBLDNS and defining simple blacklist check would do the same.

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watson.  -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig

Re: plugin for CIDR matching

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 14.03.11 13:41, Markus Reschke wrote:
>> Currently I'm writing a small SA plugin for checking if IP addresses of
>> relaying MTAs (in the Received: lines) are within a list of defined CIDR
>> blocks. Most admins filter specific CIDR blocks, e.g. from known SPAMming
>> ISPs, at the MTA level. That way all emails from the given CIDR blocks
>> are
>> rejected. But some users like to get those emails too. There could be an
>> important email or one from a potential customer - whatever. My SA plugin
>> can solve that problem by adding a SPAM score to matching emails. The
>> email may be flagged as SPAM but it's received.
>
> running RBLDNS and defining simple blacklist check would do the same.

Additionally the RBLDNS can be dynamically updated w/o requiring a
restart/rebuild of SA rules base. Depending upon which RBLDNSd you're
running it may be more flexible. The "mjt" rbldnsd takes CIDR notation
but also allows address ranges (EG 10.10.10.3-10.10.10.99) as well
as nested ranges.

I run two different local RBLDNSDs, one for IP addrs & one for
hostname/RLS.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>