Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Vitaly Funstein <vf...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/10 04:59:37 UTC

Direct memory footprint of NIOFSDirectory

Hello,

I have recently run into the situation when there was not a sufficient
amount of direct memory available for IndexWriter to work. This was
essentially caused by the embedding application making heavy use of JVM's
direct memory buffers and not leaving enough headroom for NIOFSDirectory to
operate. So what are the approximate guidelines, if any, in terms of JVM
configuration for this choice of Directory to operate safely? Basically,
what I am looking for is a rough estimate of direct memory usage per GB of
indexed data, or per directory/writer instance, if applicable.

Thanks,
-V

Re: Direct memory footprint of NIOFSDirectory

Posted by Vitaly Funstein <vf...@gmail.com>.
Lance,

With all due respect - I am aware of the existence of MMapDirectory,
but it does not answer my original question. Switching over to a
different implementation from a well-tested one to work around a
poorly understood issue carries non-zero risks in a production
environment.

Vitaly

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
You can choose another directory implementation.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Vitaly Funstein <vf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just thought I'd bump this. To clarify - for reasons outside my
> control, I can't just run the JVM hosting Lucene-enabled application
> with -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=100G or some other huge value for the
> ceiling and never worry about this. Due to preallocation and other
> restrictions, this parameter has to be fairly close to the actual size
> used by the app (padded for Lucene and possibly other consumers).
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Vitaly Funstein <vf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have recently run into the situation when there was not a sufficient amount of direct memory available for IndexWriter to work. This was essentially caused by the embedding application making heavy use of JVM's direct memory buffers and not leaving enough headroom for NIOFSDirectory to operate. So what are the approximate guidelines, if any, in terms of JVM configuration for this choice of Directory to operate safely? Basically, what I am looking for is a rough estimate of direct memory usage per GB of indexed data, or per directory/writer instance, if applicable.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -V

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Direct memory footprint of NIOFSDirectory

Posted by Vitaly Funstein <vf...@gmail.com>.