Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com> on 2012/07/22 20:52:50 UTC

Bug in Debian /etc/init.d/couchdb script

I just got a Raspberry Pi, put the "Raspbian" distro of Debian on the SD card, and of course wasted no time installing CouchDB 1.2 via apt-get. Unfortunately it fails to start up, without some manual tweaking.

The problem is that the directory /var/run/couchdb gets created with root ownership, so couchdb (running as user 'couchdb') can't write to it. This causes startup to abort.

The fix is very simple: just edit /etc/init.d/couchdb and add the following line immediately after 'mkdir -p "$RUN_DIR"' (line 86):
	chown couchdb:couchdb "$RUN_DIR"

This seems like kind of a glaring issue :/ Is it known? Is it specific to Raspbian somehow, or to all Debians?

—Jens

Re: Bug in Debian /etc/init.d/couchdb script

Posted by Nils Breunese <N....@vpro.nl>.
Ladislav Thon wrote:

>> The fix is very simple: just edit /etc/init.d/couchdb and add the
>> following line immediately after 'mkdir -p "$RUN_DIR"' (line 86):
>>        chown couchdb:couchdb "$RUN_DIR"
>>
>> This seems like kind of a glaring issue :/ Is it known? Is it specific to
>> Raspbian somehow, or to all Debians?
>>

> I had to fix my /etc/init.d/couchdb in the same way on plain old Debian
> testing.

Sounds like something to report to the Debian bug tracker: http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

Nils.
 VPRO   www.vpro.nl

Re: Bug in Debian /etc/init.d/couchdb script

Posted by Ladislav Thon <la...@gmail.com>.

> The fix is very simple: just edit /etc/init.d/couchdb and add the
> following line immediately after 'mkdir -p "$RUN_DIR"' (line 86):
>         chown couchdb:couchdb "$RUN_DIR"
>
> This seems like kind of a glaring issue :/ Is it known? Is it specific to
> Raspbian somehow, or to all Debians?

I had to fix my /etc/init.d/couchdb in the same way on plain old Debian
testing.

LT