Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Ameet Talwalkar <at...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/02 01:12:28 UTC

Volunteers for Spark MOOCs

Dear Spark Devs,

Anthony Joseph and I are teaching two large MOOCs
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_online_course> this summer on
Apache Spark and we are looking for participants from the community who
would like to help us administer the course.

Anthony is a Professor in Computer Science at UC Berkeley in the AMPLab,
and his course
<https://www.edx.org/course/v2/introduction-big-data-apache-spark-uc-berkeleyx-cs100-1x>
will be an introduction to big data analysis using Spark.  I am an
Assistant Professor in Computer Science at UCLA (and a former AMPLab
post-doc), and my course
<https://www.edx.org/course/scalable-machine-learning-uc-berkeleyx-cs190-1x>
will be about using Spark for Machine Learning pipelines.  The courses will
be taught in Python, and will be freely available via edX, a non-profit
MOOC provider that partners with many top universities across the world.

We're looking for volunteer Teaching Assistants (TAs) with at least two of
the following skills: ability to deal with Spark or Python setup issues,
basic Spark programming and debugging experience, basic ML knowledge, and
basic operations skills (writing and using scripts, helping with
username/password issues, etc.).  TAing is a great opportunity to interact
with a wide audience of Spark enthusiasts, and TAs will be formerly listed
as part of the course staff on the edX website.

We are looking for a time-commitment of roughly 10hrs per week in May and
at least 20 hours a week in June and July, though we are quite flexible
about specific working hours and location (since we will have students
around the world). We can also offer a stipend.

Please contact Anthony and me directly if you are interested.

Thanks,

Ameet and Anthony