Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Greg Monroe <gm...@apache.org> on 2013/03/01 23:09:45 UTC

Re: [VOTE]release torque 4.0

I've found some "edge case" problems but I don't think they are show
stoppers.
So my vote is:

[x]  +1 yes

The worst of these is that it doesn't work with MS SQL Server 2005.
The Date
column type does not exist in MS Server until the 2008 version. SQL 2005
does not have an end of life until 2016, so there may be some people who
still use this.

Interestingly enough, the Derby networked server fails some tests while the
embedded test works.

Also, I ran thru all the Tutorials (ORM MVN and Ant, GEN) and found no
problems except for the offline docs did not contain the *.xsd schema
files.

Here are my testing notes:

Torque 4.0 Notes

Environment:  Window 7, Java 1.6.0_38-b05, Maven 2.2.1

SVN Checkout / Rebuild:  OK

Test Project Runs:

   MySQL  (MySql V5.1):  OK

   MS SQL (MS SQLServer 2005):  Failed

     SQL Execution
       DATE column type not supported

   Derby Embedded (10.8.3.0 ) OK

   Derby 10.8.3.0 (Networked version):   Failed

     Test set:
org.apache.torque.generated.peer.DefaultValuesFromDatabaseTest
       testNewObjectDatabaseDefault:
         The syntax of the string representation of a datetime value is
incorrect.

       testNewObjectChangedValue
         The syntax of the string representation of a datetime value is
incorrect.

      Test set: org.apache.torque.util.ExceptionMapperTest
        testTransactionDeadlock
         autocommit must be set to false for this test

   Derby 10.9.1.0 (Networked version):   Failed

     Test set:
org.apache.torque.generated.peer.DefaultValuesFromDatabaseTest
       testNewObjectDatabaseDefault:
         The syntax of the string representation of a datetime value is
incorrect.

       testNewObjectChangedValue
         The syntax of the string representation of a datetime value is
incorrect.

      Test set: org.apache.torque.util.ExceptionMapperTest
        testTransactionDeadlock
         autocommit must be set to false for this test

Documentation Bundle (Site):

   - Missing database-4.0*.xsd files in orm-reference directory

ORM - Tutorial
   MVN - OK
   ANT - OK
     NOTE:  Combination of MySQL 5.1 and Connector 5.1.9 generated a
            "org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver is not supported by DataSource".
Needed
            to downgrade to 5.0.9 (Maven dependancy version).

Gen - Tutorial
    MVN - OK

Re: Date data type in MSSQL 2005 server (was: Re: [VOTE]release torque 4.0)

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
See the AutoDetectAdapter for a way to read the metadata from the connection. The version is also available there. We might even have different adapters detected based on the version.

Bye, Thomas.

Date data type in MSSQL 2005 server (was: Re: [VOTE]release torque 4.0)

Posted by Thomas Fox <Th...@seitenbau.net>.
Thanks for the thorough testing, Greg.

As I understand it, there was no date type in MSSQL 2005 and the current
one was added in the 2008 release?
If this is the case, I consider this a bug in the test project.
There are some other cases in the test project where a tested feature is
not supported by a database. In these cases the test project tries to check
the database type and ignores the test if it is known to be not supported.
We could also do this for date in MSSQL 2005.