Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2012/07/07 10:39:47 UTC

'Created vs Resolved Issues' report

I don't know if other committersd follow this indicator. Personally it begins to worry me a bit. It's based on one off my shared
filter ("OFBiz All"), I guess everybody with a Jira profile should get the resut
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ConfigureReport.jspa?projectOrFilterId=filter-12311047&periodName=daily&daysprevious=90&cumulative=true&versionLabels=major&selectedProjectId=12310500&reportKey=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.reports%3Acreatedvsresolved-report&Next=Next

Last big effort was done by Jacopo in Dec., since then it keeps increasing...

Jacques

Re: 'Created vs Resolved Issues' report

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@gmail.com>
> On Jul 7, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> You are certainly right and I agree with your point. But this should not be a way for committers to escape their
>> responsabilities.
>>
>> I think the truth is in the middle. I think that that some committers are not doing their (volunteers) job for too long.  I see
>> that
>> few contributors are doing much than most committers. Some contributions are really good and fix neglected issues being there for
>> long. So this situation put the burden on the shoulders of few committers. Some begin to loose the faith (ie less activity) and
>> if
>> this situation continues the project will loose its momentum. Also this situation does not help preventing what you are
>> stigmatizing...
>>
>> Being a committer means some responsability. http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#committer-responsibilities
>> It's easy to check http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?path=%2Fofbiz
>> I don't think the list of committers https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+PMC+Members+and+Committers
>> is
>> in stone...
>
> In fact it isn't... but at the moment the fact that there are dormant committers doesn't worry me much: we can't enforce people to
> work for the community and so this is out of our control.
> Revoking commit rights could be considered as a cleanup task but as a very low priority: inactive committers are not doing any
> harm and having them in at least adds some possibility for a comeback.
> The real problem is finding capable new committers and we all know it is not easy; the proposal I have in mind (I will send it in
> a separate email) may help in lowering the entry bar by asking (new or old) committers to limit their commits to specific areas of
> the project.

I agree, new *active* committers is the real issue. So committers are commiter for life :o)  (I refer to
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_Dictator_for_Life)

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>