Posted to commons-dev@ws.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/05 07:15:19 UTC

Pruning committers and pmc members

Folks,

Believe it or not! we have 230 people who have karma to our svn:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/

Out of these only about 74 people have made commits in the last 1
year. You can get this info by using the svn log:
svn log -v --revision 2006-07-05:HEAD
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/

I'd like to start a process of pruning both the committer list and the
pmc members list. As am sure some of the pmc members have not been
active recently either as i alluded to you in the prev email about the
board report.

Here's something i came up with. Basically i will add a text file in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/admin which will have the
names of all the committers and an option right next to their name
with Y/N and question being would you like to keep your commit rights.
Example.

dims              [Y/N]

I can pre-fill this to Y for everyone who have made commits in the
last 1 year to reduce work for already active people. At the end of
say 2 weeks from kicking off the process, we will collect the final
tally and prune the svn karma to those who chose to edit the file. If
someone missed the deadline or want to get back karma say in a couple
of months, they can send a quick email to the pmc (private AT
ws.apache.org) and one of us can add it right back.

How about we use the same process for PMC members too? I can add
another file for pmc members and here i will not prefill anyones
option. All PMC members have to edit the file and modify the option
next to their name. At the end, same 2 weeks, we can declare those who
did not choose to be active as Emeritus. For PMC members, there is a
higher threshold, if one of the Emeritus members want to get back into
the game, they will have to drop an email and we will hold a vote.
This is because, we need to notify the board for *every* pmc member
change and there are legal implications and a higher threshold.

Sounds good? comments?

thanks,
dims

Re: Pruning committers and pmc members

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

+1

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

+1

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
We are just discussing the mechanics. it's not ready yet.

-- dims

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Dims,

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

+1

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

+1

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ar...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

+1

Re: StackOverflowException when mutual reference exist

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think it's legal to have references from both A->B and B->A. Please create
a JIRA to track this issue.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Huang,

Huang Kai wrote:
> I mean that composite A has a component which uses composite B as
> an implementation and that composite B has a component which uses
>  composite A as an implementation .
> I think this use case is fairly common, eg. [Employee] has a property refer to [Company] and [Company] has a property refer to it's [Employee]s. And when these two java components are in different composites, I'll have to define mutual referenced composite files above.

Aaargh - this is the case that I was worrying about.

OK - what you need to understand here is that using a composite to
implement a component within a higher level composite is *NOT* a
reference property.

Using something as an implementation is a STRUCTURAL relationship.  It
means that the implementation is "part of" the containing composite.
Now if you view it that way, then it does *NOT* make sense for a Company
to be "built from" employees and then for the employees to be "built
from" a company.  That is what your use case is like.

It's OK for a "Company" component to have a reference to an "Employee"
component - but a reference is not the implementation of a component -
it is a dependency that one component has on another.

Does that make sense?

Yours,  Mike.

Re: StackOverflowException when mutual reference exist

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Huang,

Posted by Huang Kai <pr...@gmail.com>.
I'm in the case 2.
:(
It's error-prone

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Huang,

Posted by Huang Kai <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

+1

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

+1

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

+1

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

+1

Posted by Nirmal Mukhi <nm...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi,

+1 for pruning PMC members who aren't "active enough". I definitely need to
be on that list.
-1 for pruning committers.

Thanks,
Nirmal.

             Sanjiva
             Weerawarana
             <sanjiva@opensour                                          To
             ce.lk>                    general@ws.apache.org
                                                                        cc
             07/12/2007 04:44
                                       Re: Pruning committers and pmc
                                       members
             Please respond to
             general@ws.apache
                   .org

+1 for pruning PMC members and -1 for pruning committers.

Sanjiva.

Roland Weber wrote:
> Hello Dinesh,
>
>> I don't understand why we need pruning them, I think committers and
PMC's
>> commitment to those projects is worth enough to allocate them few more
>> extra bytes :)
>
> The point of pruning the PMC list is that PMCs are responsible
> to provide oversight of a project. The board wants and needs to
> know how many people are actually _doing_ that, as opposed to
> how many people used to do it at some time. Propagating PMCs
> to an emeritus state is nothing irreversible, and they can remain
> listed as former PMCs. But the board needs a list of currently
> active PMCs.
> As for the committers list, I agree with you. Jakarta also
> decided to leave the committers list unchanged.
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: Pruning committers and pmc members

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Roland Weber wrote:
> Hello Dinesh,
>
>> I don't understand why we need pruning them, I think committers and PMC's
>> commitment to those projects is worth enough to allocate them few more
>> extra bytes :)
>
> The point of pruning the PMC list is that PMCs are responsible
> to provide oversight of a project. The board wants and needs to
> know how many people are actually _doing_ that, as opposed to
> how many people used to do it at some time. Propagating PMCs
> to an emeritus state is nothing irreversible, and they can remain
> listed as former PMCs. But the board needs a list of currently
> active PMCs.
> As for the committers list, I agree with you. Jakarta also
> decided to leave the committers list unchanged.
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: Pruning committers and pmc members

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Dinesh,

Posted by Dinesh Premalal <xy...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dims,

On 7/5/07, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/>
> I'd like to start a process of pruning both the committer list and the
> pmc members list. As am sure some of the pmc members have not been
> active recently either as i alluded to you in the prev email about the
> board report.
>
> I don't understand why we need pruning them, I think committers and PMC's
commitment to those projects is worth enough to allocate them few more extra
bytes :)

thanks,
Dinesh
--
http://xydinesh.wordpress.com/
GPG Key ID : A255955C

Re: Pruning committers and pmc members

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Tom Jordahl wrote:
> My spam filters must have stopped something.
>
> What is the motivation here?

See the mail archives:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-general/200707.mbox/%3c19e0530f0707042215n31162e82q6e22ff4cc4b9d2ef@mail.gmail.com%3e

Dims wants to reduce the number of inactive PMCs,
and I provided references to a similar effort by
Jakarta last year.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: Pruning committers and pmc members

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Tom,

WS is an umbrella PMC, which the board typically dislikes. They have
seen us being lax on active oversight of projects and reporting. So we
need to get out act together.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hello dims,

I just read through the thread I linked in my last mail.
The general feeling was that it's better to contact the
PMC members directly by email and asking them whether
they want to remain on the PMC. It's much more polite
and personal than implementing a new process that kicks
some of them out.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-general/200603.mbox/%3cNBBBJGEAGJAKLIDBKJOPIEPKHBAC.noel@devtech.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-general/200603.mbox/%3c6bde122b0603160931t27c8f64o26f25058bc0f363c@mail.gmail.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-general/200603.mbox/%3cPine.LNX.4.61.0603171045370.14475@kongo%3e