Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2004/04/02 01:39:07 UTC

Importing SourceForge code that uses ASL

A while back someone forked JCS to a SourceForge project
(http://ehcache.sourceforge.net/) to fix some bugs and to simplify the
code base by reducing the scope of the functionality it provides.  The
SF project is listed as being ASL.

Someone has now back ported the bug fixes to JCS
(http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=turbine-jcs-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=403)
and I am wondering if there might be any licensing issues with this.  I
assume not, but thought I would double check anyway.

Thanks,

Scott

--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

Re: Importing SourceForge code that uses ASL

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Scott,

There are licensing issues, and you should really ask licensing@apache.org (subscribe in ususal
way).

IANAL, but I think it is not clear.  The individuals at SF have not signed CLAs for Apache. If
they had started the project on their own and merely chosen our 1.1 license, we'd definately not
have the right to import the code (it has been said that the 1.1 license is not transportable). We
certainly accept patches from people who've not signed CLAs, but whole bodies of work, merely
based on code once hosted at Apache, it is not clear. There are loads more hyptheticals, but it's
improper to confuse your simple case with those here.  Ask the licensing gang.

Regards,

- Paul

 --- Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> wrote: > A while back someone forked JCS to a