Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/24 14:01:13 UTC

Tapestry GSoC project need your advises

Hi all,

I am a postgraduate student from University of Science and Technology
Beijing, i have been using Tapestry for years, currently i want to
contribute an Eclipse WTP based Tapestry editor as GSoC 2011 project
for this group. I have finished the survey job and the project
proposal, now i shall it here with you guys, expecting for your
feedback and then improve it. And also, this GSoC project need a
mentor, if you are interested, please let me know, thank you. :-)

BTW, you can go here[1] to see project proposal details with picture demos.

============Project Proposal====================

The Eclipse Web Tools Platform (WTP) project[2] extends the Eclipse
platform with tools for developing Web and Java EE applications. It
includes source and graphical editors for a variety of languages,
wizards and built-in applications to simplify development, and tools
and APIs to support deploying, running, and testing apps.
WTP supplies Web Page Editor for us to edit HTML page, JSP page and
JSF-JSP web page. Just like JSF technology, Apache Tapestry supplies
powerful component structure, and it offered a number of other
powerful features that proved to be critical in our work. For example,
it allowed a clean separation between Java and HTML, and made it
possible for the design work on the application to continue well after
the code had been completed. So Tapestry become more and more popular
today, and i think it is necessary for Eclipse WTP to support
Tapestry.

So I want to build an Eclipse WTP based Tapestry visual editor, named
it Tapestry Tools. It should have following mainly functions:

1. Tapertry libraries import wizard
We can select which Tapestry version do we need, and then it will help
us to import the corresponding jars. We should notice that different
Tapestry release version have their own features. For example, in
Tapestry 4, we usually use a .tml file,a .page file and a .java file
to construct a Tapestry page, but in Tapestry 5, a page usually
contains only a .tml file and a .java file.

2. Tapestry page/component creation wizard
It will help us to create the .tml file and .java file together (in
Tapestry 4, this will create the corresponding .page file too) for a
Tapestry page/component.

3. Add Tapestry component support for WTP web editor palette
If we open a Tapestry page/component with WTP Web Page Editor, its
palette will contains three main section, HTML,Tapestry core and
Tapestry custom component. Then, we can drap-and-drop the components
in the palette to the canvas. WTP web editor supplies property view
for us already, we can improve the property to support Tapestry
component.
In Tapestry Core section, it includes Tapestry standard components,
Foreach, Insert,Image,Conditional, Form components and the other
standard components.

4. Add convenient way for the Web Page Editor to change-over between a
Tapestry page's .tml file and .java file
5. Add Tapestry built in and custom components autocomplete function
for WTP Web Page Editor's source view
If we add component insert code, such as "<span jwcid="@Insert"/>",So
when you type

completes it with the required parameters listed.

6.Tapestry component's parameters property view
We select a component in canvas design view or source view, the
Eclipse property view will list this component's parameters and we can
edit the parameters here.

7.Autocomplete of properties from the .java page when editing the .tml file
In the Source Page of the Web Page Editor, add the Tapestry tag, (for
example ${prop:index}). With the cursor inside the brackets, hit
Ctrl+spacebar, should see a pop-up with a list of all the available
properties defined in the corresponding java class.

8.Validation function in Tapestry .tml file source view
Beyond the basic JSP validation already provided with the JSP editor,
this editor supplies semantic validation of the Tapestry standard tag
libraries for both EL and non-EL attribute values.
The EL validation is quite comprehensive offering not only basic
syntax validation, but also object existence and type and signature
validations.
If there is a problem with the value provided for an attribute it will
be detected and you should see either a warning or error marker along
with a "squiggly" under the value depending on the severity. There may
be multiple problems and each will be listed if you hover your mouse
over the squiggly or the annotation marker in the side ruler. The
validation is aware of the Tapestry Configuration model(s) in the the
project and can flag problems of missing configuration items.

9.Hyperlink function in Tapestry .tml file source view
Hyperlink to the Java editor from Managed Bean variable, Managed Bean
property and Managed Bean method referenced in the Expression
Language(EL) of a tag-attribute. Users can (Ctrl+click) on the
hyperlink to navigate to the source of the Managed Bean.

[1] http://visual-tapestry.appspot.com/
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/

Re: Tapestry GSoC project need your advises

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Igor,

Thank you for your response, yeah, i hope my tool can work for all
Tapestry version, but nowadays, it is Tapestry 5 time, so, i will
start with Tapestry 5 of course, if i have more, i will start migrate
job to other Tapestry version, such as T4. So, as you said, i will
concentrate on Tapestry 5 first.

I have started information gathering job and  some experiments to
confirm my design is realizable (you can see design details here[1]),
and will start real coding job soon.

Google Summer of Code is a global program that offers student
developers stipends to write code for various open source software
projects, you can view the project details here [2].

GSoC mentor means guys who give students some advises about open
source project, mentor do not need help us about coding details, but
can tell us which design or solution is better. Any Apache PMC
committer can mentor some GSoC project, in fact, i think you are a
perfect one :-)

[1] http://visual-tapestry.appspot.com/
[2] http://socghop.appspot.com

在 2011年3月24日 下午9:17,Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com> 写道:

Posted by Stony Zhang <zh...@cyberobject.com.cn>.
Hi Gavin,
	It seems that the project is very stirring. I'm looking forward it.

Thanks
Stony

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ulrich,