Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tom Ray <to...@blazestudios.com> on 2003/01/16 18:02:27 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Password protecting access to whole web site without .htpasswd file

If you can't use .htaccess to protect the directory, you're probably going
to have to use some sort of PERL or PHP script to do this. Have a login
page that when submit compares against either a flat file or a database
that has a username and password stored in it.

Currently, I'm using a flat file system that has the same layout of a
password file created by htpasswd user:password and I use crypt() to
encrypt the passwords in the file, then when the user submits the form I
run the password the user supplied through crypt() and compare it to the
entries in the flat file. But I only have one or two users that hit this
area and the data isn't really that important that getting hacked would
make a big deal.