Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by rkvirani <rk...@outlook.com> on 2014/02/10 17:26:45 UTC

Hardware requirements for a development workstation

Hi All,

Im sorry if this question has been asked, search results didnt show anything
and I cant seem to find much documentation out there.  I am looking for
hardware reqruirements for developing a working model in HBase.

I would like the development environment to support the following:

1) Small cluster in vmware player on the host (not psuedo cluster).
2) Host small sample of the data maybe 100GB or so
3) Develop, run and execute scripts in Jython for data loading and large
manipulation operations
4) Able to run the web interface I have seen for hbase (dont know much about
it)
5) Support for an IDE such as Eclipse for example.
6) I am looking at laptop hardware so please keep that in mind.

Currently I  have an i3 with 4GB Ram, I am guessing this may not be
sufficicent, there are no RAM requirements but I can see that when hbase is
executed it uses as much ram is available and as much CPU as available.

It would be helpfull if someone could offer insight on the hardware required
for development and whether or not CPU or RAM is more important, so far as I
can tell it would be CPU as everytime I try and execute a script the CPU
usage goes through the roof (probably the JVM chugging away compiling the
bite code...)

Please help, Im a newb, sorry if these kinds of questions have been asked
before.

I a

Re: Hardware requirements for a development workstation

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Moving to user@, dev@ in bcc

Hi,

Calculation is pretty simple.

Let's say you want to have at least 3 nodes in 3 VMs. And you local os.

That's 4 computers in one hardware.

You want to have AT LEAST 2 cores and 4GB per host, so you need a minimum
or 16GB and 8 cores to host all of that in a single hardware.

But for local dev, I don't think you need to run a local cluster. A pseudo
dist might be plenty enough. Then just use 2 hardware to build a 4 nodes
cluster for your next step testing.

JM

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Moving to user@, dev@ in bcc

Re: Hardware requirements for a development workstation / environment

Posted by rkvirani <rk...@outlook.com>.
Did I post something wrong?  No one has responded to my inquiry but I see the
forum already has many postings and replies since I posted, just a beginner
looking for some guidance.

Thanks