Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org> on 2016/03/09 21:48:56 UTC

Localizing + blogging about ComDev to encourage regional participation

Hello Uli + team ComDev --I hope you are all well.

A quick heads-up that I was contacted by Luke Han [1], who is seeking to find ways to help him spread the word about Apache in China.

I pointed him to the ComDev pages, and he's interested in translating them, as well as possibly posting some entries on blogs.apache.org that can serve as resources for the region (and elsewhere as appropriate).

So my questions are:

1) any objections to the translation of http://community.apache.org/

2) I presume we'll work with Infra to have a link to the localized pages (IIRC, https://translate.apache.org/ may be terminated/discontinued?)

3) if the above is acceptable, are you OK with specific, non-English, blog entries being posted about the concepts/topics in community.apache.org?

Thanks so much for this!

-Sally

[1]  VP, Apache Kylin https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_announces85

+ copying Ross, Rich, and David on this to close the loop on some informal communications on this.
= = = = =
vox +1 617 921 8656
gvox +1 646 598 4616
skype sallykhudairi

Re: Localizing + blogging about ComDev to encourage regional participation

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org>.
Currently on vacation, will reply when I'm back next week.

Cheers,

Uli

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Thanks, Miss Meliss!
Let's see how we can make this work first on a mechanical/process level, then assemble the participants. So glad to see additional interested parties :-)
Cheers,Sally

Posted by Melissa Warnkin <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hey all,

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Sally Khudairi wrote on 3/9/16 3:48 PM:
> Hello Uli + team ComDev --I hope you are all well.
>
> A quick heads-up that I was contacted by Luke Han [1], who is seeking
> to find ways to help him spread the word about Apache in China.
>
> I pointed him to the ComDev pages, and he's interested in translating
> them, as well as possibly posting some entries on blogs.apache.org
> that can serve as resources for the region (and elsewhere as
> appropriate).
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1) any objections to the translation of http://community.apache.org/

Of course not!  Everything is under the Apache license, so you can do
this for any website without asking permission on your own.  The only
question is if we're posting "official" translations on an apache.org
website, we should make sure the relevant project knows you're doing it.

Luke, if you're interested in translating the community.a.o website,
please start a new thread here on dev@community.apache.org with your
plan so we can +1 it.

> 2) I presume we'll work with Infra to have a link to the localized
> pages (IIRC, https://translate.apache.org/ may be
> terminated/discontinued?)

I know that translate.apache.org is officially supported for adhoc
project translations.  That site is mostly for managing the translation
of pages, not necessarily posting/managing all the content on the website.

The HTTPD, CouchDB, and OpenOffice projects have active translation
setups, you might want to ask one of them for tips if you're planning to
translate whole websites:

https://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/translations.html
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Translation+Guide
https://openoffice.apache.org/translate.html

> 3) if the above is acceptable, are you OK with specific, non-English,
> blog entries being posted about the concepts/topics in
> community.apache.org?

Of course, as long as they include an English "the official project page
is here" link or the like, to tie together the translated content with
the project's relevant English pages.

Which specific blogs.a.o/* blog would this be under?  Luke will need a
Roller account on the blogs service, and whoever's the blog admin will
need to add them, etc.

- Shane