Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by Denis Kandrov <dk...@unipro.ru> on 2013/02/24 15:01:49 UTC

Installing and configuring a cluster

Hello, Sebastian!

I'm trying to install and configure OM cluster on two Amazon EC2 micro
instances, but it does not work.

At the moment I made ​​the following:
1) I use one database on master server. This database is mysql. Both
servers are connected to this database.

2) I set up NFS for the following folders:
/opt/red5/webapps/openmeetings/upload
/opt/red5/webapps/openmeetings/streams
and mounted this folders on the slave node.

3) I uncommented and changed the next lines in files
/opt/red5/webapps/openmeetings/WEB-INF/
openmeetings-applicationContext.xml on both servers:
  <!--
                         Need to be uncommented and set to the real ID
if in cluster mode
                 <property name="serverId" value="1" />
-->

I set value 1 for variable serverId on master node, and value 2 on slave
node.

4) I created SOAP-Access user 'sadmin' for using in
Administration->Servers settings.

5) I added both servers in Administration->Servers settings with next
parameters:
Server Name - master
Active - yes
Server Addres - ip address of master node
HTTP Port - 5080
User (SOAP Access) - sadmin
Password = password of sadmin
Webapp path - openmeetings
Protocol - http

Server Name - slave1
Active - yes
Server Addres - ip address of slave node
HTTP Port - 5080
User (SOAP Access) - sadmin
Password = password of sadmin
Webapp path - openmeetings
Protocol - http

After this I restarted both servers and log in to master node and to
slave node in different browser tabs.
Then I enter to the same room in both tabs, but on each tab I saw only
one user.
I think I must have seen two users.
In log file

Where I wrong?

Logs from servers are in attachments.

--
With best regards, Denis Kandrov

Re: Installing and configuring a cluster

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hallo Denis,

the documentation for the cluster is not yet ready.

When logging into the server, you don't try to login to the master and the
slave. You only use one server to connect actually. Which one is master
does not matter, but otherwise the users can"t see each other in the
dashboard chat.
As soon as the user enters the conference room, OpenMeetings will calculate
the server that currently has the minimum of server load (it will calculate
that based on the max number of participants that are configured for the
rooms that are on that server, not on the absolute numbers of users
logged"in). and redirect the user upon room login to that server.

But also one step is missing in your configuration: You need to synchronize
OpenJPA, there is a property called "RemoteCommitProvider" that you set in
the persistence.xml. You need to configure the IPs of all cluster of the
node in that value. This config will send a message to all connected
servers whenever there is a change committed to the database, so that all
clusters clear their cache and update their results.

The besst test to check if the cluster has been working is:
1) Set up the cluster and loggin with two users, goto the same room (also
check before room entering that the status page with the room list shows
the correct number of participants before entering the room). Both users
should be in the same room.
2) Do the same with only two users but goto _different_ rooms. The
calculation should send both users to different servers, cause based on the
calculation two different rooms on a cluster with two nodes should go
exactly one room for each node. You can now loggin really to node1 and
node2 of your cluster while those users are loggedin and goto
Administration > Connections and check in the column "servers" where they
are located. They should be on different server.

Thats basically it.

There are a few things that do not work yet:
1) Whiteboards are not stored in the database yet, that means when a new
room is created and OpenMeetings decides where to put it in its
calculation, and puts it on another server the history of the whiteboard
items might be not there
2) The users always should connect to the same node initially in the
cluster as the dashboard chat is not synchronized between the nodes of the
cluster.

Sebastian

Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock
http://www.webbase-design.de
http://www.wagner-sebastian.com
seba.wagner@gmail.com

Re: Installing and configuring a cluster

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hallo Denis,