Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Maik Schreiber <bl...@blizzy.de> on 2005/05/16 18:11:23 UTC

Contribution: LuceneIndexAccessor

Hi,

My company would like to make the following contribution to Lucene (in
sandbox?) licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

Background: While doing project work on a web-based search engine we have
developed a component called LuceneIndexAccessor. This component provides a
high-level index access interface, that is, it synchronizes read/write
access to a Lucene index. You no longer need to worry about concurrently
opening readers/writers/searchers. The component also does caching where
applicable. Further, it makes sure that all Searchers get closed whenever
you have added a document to the index.

You can download the source here:

http://www.blizzy.de/lucene/lucene-indexaccess-0.1.0.zip

Using LuceneIndexAccessor is incredibly simple:

Directory directory = ...
Analyzer analyzer = ...

// somewhere near program start
IIndexAccessProvider accessProvider =
	new IndexAccessProvider(directory, analyzer);
ILuceneIndexAccessor accessor = new LuceneIndexAccessor(accessProvider);
accessor.open();

IndexWriter writer = null;
try {
	writer = accessor.getWriter();

	// use writer...
} catch (IOException e) {
	// ...
} finally {
	accessor.release(write);
}

// somewhere near program exit
accessor.close();

(Opening IndexReaders or Searchers follows the same use pattern.)

Right now, the source compiles against a CVS version of Lucene. Also, it
uses Log4J for logging. We're happy with changing that if need arises.

--
Maik Schreiber   *   http://www.blizzy.de

GPG public key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1F11D713
Key fingerprint: CF19 AFCE 6E3D 5443 9599 18B5 5640 1F11 D713

Re: Contribution: LuceneIndexAccessor

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Wednesday 18 May 2005 12:22, Maik Schreiber wrote:

> > Is it possible to
> > contribute it with the copyright assigned to the Apache Software
> > Foundation? I'm not sure if we can add code (to the core at least)
> > that's not copyright by the ASF.
>
> I think that's fine. Is there a specific way to go about reassigning?

The best thing AFAIK is to just change the copyright in your files to
"Copyright 2005 The Apache Software Foundation"
and then open a bug report where you attach the new version.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: Contribution: LuceneIndexAccessor

Posted by Maik Schreiber <bl...@blizzy.de>.
> Thanks, that sounds useful. Are there any test cases?

Not yet, but we're using it in a few production systems without any quirks. I
will try and go about writing them.

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Monday 16 May 2005 18:11, Maik Schreiber wrote:

> My company would like to make the following contribution to Lucene (in
> sandbox?) licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

Thanks, that sounds useful. Are there any test cases? Is it possible to