Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Sage Sharp <sh...@otter.technology> on 2019/07/05 21:49:15 UTC

Engaging potential ASF Outreachy mentors

[Moving this to a separate thread, and again, please do not discuss funding
sources or board notifications on this thread.]

Joan had specific questions as to how to engage Outreachy mentors. I would
suggest sending them links to Outreachy's documentation of mentor duties
and the mentor FAQ:

https://www.outreachy.org/mentor/#mentor
https://www.outreachy.org/mentor/mentor-faq/

Outreachy mentors need to submit their project description through the
Outreachy website. I've attached the project information we ask for in a
text file. The community sign up doesn't start until August 1, so there's
no way for mentors to sign up for the next round until then. If the ASF D&I
committee wants to review mentor's project before August, they can use the
format to start gathering proposals.

More information on Joan's specific questions below:

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:59 AM Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2019-06-27 13:22, Naomi S wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 18:52, Ross Gardler
> > <Ro...@microsoft.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >>  I have seen NO discussion on the topic of who the mentors are and
> minimal
> >> discussion on how we evaluate proposals.
> >>

> > I will note that this very thread ("[DISCUSS] Outreachy framework
> > proposal") was supposed to be the start of that conversation.
>
> And I would like to continue that topic, but until the noise abates and
> the S/N is restored here, I refuse to do so. I simply haven't the energy
> to wade through the piles of vitriol.
>
> I'll leave a few points here, and hopefully someone can pick up on them:
>
> * We need a double blind evaluation system that masks project name,
>   applicant name, specific details, etc.

(FYI - using the term "anonymized evaluation system" is a better term
"double blind evaluation system". I've seen vision-impaired people complain
about how this term is an unpleasant one for them.)

I assume you mean an anonymized evaluation system for deciding which
Outreachy internship projects to accept? The Outreachy website asks for a
lot of project-specific details (like communication channel links,
documentation for how to make a first contribution, etc.). I don't think it
will be possible to make an informed decision about whether a project is
going to be successful in Outreachy without looking at those details. You
would need someone to do a lot of redaction on the project descriptions to
achieve anonymity.

Or are you talking about an anonymous review system to help coordinators
needing to make a decision about which intern selections? That would be
needed if there are more interns than you have funding for.

Coordinators will already have access to information about applicants and
intern selects through the Outreachy website, so implementing an anonymized
intern selection system might not be feasible for that. The information
that coordinators and mentors can see on the Outreachy website has some
details about the applicants. Each project will have a page that lists
applicants who have recorded a contribution or filled out a final
application. That page lists the applicant's name, email address, location
and timezone, pronouns, and a summary of how many days free the applicant
has during the internship. The final application lists answers to questions
like "What is your experience in other free software communities?" and
"What other experience do you have that is relevant to this project?"

Mentors have tried to implement anonymous reviews of Outreachy applicants'
contributions. I know some projects in Mozilla have turned on a GitHub
feature to hide the name of the person submitting a contribution. The
coordinator gathers final applications and recorded contributions, redacts
personal information, and shares it with the mentors. Then the mentors make
a decision on which applicant to accept, all without knowing details about
the applicant.

If the ASF wants to anonymize intern selections for review, it would need a
neutral third party to redact personal information and identifying
information from the intern's final application and the project.

> * We need a way to ensure that mentors actually are capable of
>   committing the time necessary for this programme, to check in with
>   the admins on regular intervals to ensure this is happening, and to
>   blacklist them from future involvement if they are unable to meet
>   those expectations and they do not have an acceptable excuse, since
>   real money will have been wasted. (Doctor's note, death in the
>   family, etc.)

Outreachy requires mentors to check a box during project sign up to specify
that they understand this is a 5 hour time commitment during the
internship. There's another box for acknowledging the 10 hour time
commitment during the contribution period. The Outreachy organizers don't
do anything as elaborate as what you're proposing, but there's nothing
stopping coordinators from doing so.

Outreachy already has feedback points three times during the internship (2
weeks in, 8 weeks in, and 13 weeks in). Mentors give feedback on their
interns, including their response time, whether the intern should be paid
their stipend for that term, and whether the internship should be extended.
Interns give private feedback on their mentors, including the mentor's
response time to their questions and how long it takes the mentors to give
feedback on their contributions.

The mentor and intern feedback is private, only read by Outreachy
organizers. That's because interns sometimes talk about how their personal
life has been impacting the amount of time they could put into their
internship. These are often very personal matters, e.g. "I'm going through
a divorce" or "I'm moving to a new country" or "I have this specific health
issue". That's not something we want to automatically share with
coordinators.

However, if you're concerned about mentor response times, I can let you
know if I see concerning trends in mentor response time or intern comments
on the ASF mentors.

> * We need a double-check that the projects involved agree to follow
>   not just the ASF CoC, but the Outreachy CoC, and any other imposed
>   requirements
> * We need a ruler by which we can measure the quality of the project
>   in terms of its suitability for an intern - what will the intern
>   *gain* by working on the project? Or is it just self-interest of
>   the requesting PMC/org? Quantified and qualified, preferably.

One of the questions we ask mentors during project sign up is "What benefit
will the intern have for working on this project?" I've also talked about
other project criteria you might want to use here:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f790fa5bffd7c2aac3fb495593456d55bed940815891511c6d3fd039@%3Cdev.diversity.apache.org%3E

> * We need to review the tagged areas Outreachy provides to ensure
>   that the applications we vet cover a broad range of opportunities
>   within our Foundation, not 100% documentation or internal-facing
>   tools.
> * We should find a volunteer to reach out to our compatriots within
>   Fedora and Debian to see how they coordinate and vet their
>   similar opportunity programs.

I also would recommend talking with the Mozilla coordinators, as they have
more projects that they vet (10-15 per round). I can connect you with
Dustin (the main Mozilla coordinator). I would need a specific set of
people to connect him with, rather than dragging him to a public mailing
list thread that is at risk of meandering off topic.

Sage Sharp
Outreachy Organizer

Re: Engaging potential ASF Outreachy mentors

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
For the projects I’ve mentored so far, I’ve typically had a few different
people express interest in the project, but by the time they submit
applications and initial contributions, the list narrows down a bit. Unless
you somehow manage to attract numerous well qualified individuals all at
the same time and they don’t get discouraged by the competition, as a
mentor, you’ll likely know which person or people (if possible) you’d like
to accept based on your interactions with them. There’s already an
application process to even be considered as an Outreachy intern applicant
before you contribute to any project, and I believe that’s where a lot of
the more personal information about each individual is considered.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Engaging potential ASF Outreachy mentors

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Sage,