Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Ravinder Reddy <pa...@students.iiit.net> on 2006/11/18 20:16:51 UTC

hi..plzz read this..!!!

 	hello all,
 		I am Ravinder Reddy studying B.tech 3rd year in
IIIT,Hyderabad- India.As my B.Tech project I am planning to implement
'speculative locking protocol' to Derby.For this I need some help from
developers like you in  understanding  the architecture of derby and
achieving the project goal.plzz suggest me where can I start to understand
the code and how can I get maximum benefit.
 		I know this is very complex/large work to do.We are a
group of 2 people and we have (nearly) 9 months time and we are very much
interested in database Systems and Java.
 		Considering all the factors plzz guide us to do the
project effectively.

Q)   what is this 'speculative locking protocol'?.
Ans)
 	2-phase locking protocol is widely used in database system to
achieve concurrency control of transaction management.This speculative
locking protocol is newly proposed locking protocol that outperforms
over 2-phase locking. we want to show this by implementing for an
opensource Database System.So we have chosen Derby.

Q)  why we have chosen Derby?.
     -----------------------
Ans)
 	It is prototype DatabaseSystem.
 	It is in developing stage.
 	we are java geeks.
 	and many more......!!!!!

 		Hoping for a Positive responce..!!
 		Thank U in advance n sorry for spamming..!!

Regards
------
Ravinder Reddy

    Every problem that has been solved can be solved again in a better way
                                                   - My Self

Re: hi..plzz read this..!!!

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Ravinder Reddy wrote:

>     hello all,
>         I am Ravinder Reddy studying B.tech 3rd year in IIIT,Hyderabad-
> India.As my B.Tech project I am planning to implement 'speculative
> locking protocol' to Derby.For this I need some help from developers
> like you in  understanding  the architecture of derby and
> achieving the project goal.plzz suggest me where can I start to
> understand the code and how can I get maximum benefit.
>         I know this is very complex/large work to do.We are a group of 2
> people and we have (nearly) 9 months time and we are very much
> interested in database Systems and Java.
>         Considering all the factors plzz guide us to do the project
> effectively.

Welcome to the community, the wiki contains information for getting
started in Derby development.

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev

There are links that lead you to write ups of various sub-systems,
presentations that cover the internals, etc. The code itself is a good
source of information, the original plan when the project started was to
keep as much information in javadoc comments as possible. Here's the
link to the complete javadoc for the engine.

http://db.apache.org/derby/javadoc/engine/

which itself is a link from this page of papers.

http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/index.html

Hope this helps,
Dan.