Posted to apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> on 2002/02/12 21:23:54 UTC

Re: autoconf support?

Jim Winstead <ji...@trainedmonkey.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 11:05:19AM -0500, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> > Has anyone thought of a fix for the "missing"
> > file?  As I reported earlier, it is a symlink
> >
> >   /usr/local/share/autoconf/missing
> >
> > which may or may not exist on the user's filesystem.
> > I have no idea how to fix this problem.
>
> i just didn't run automake correctly when building the distribution.
> (for the record, you need to run 'automake -a -c' for the file to be
> copied into place. i apparently just ran 'automake -a' which just
> creates a symlink.)

What do you think about putting together a test distribution from
the current CVS?  That way at least we can test everything out,
including the autoconf support.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: autoconf support?

Posted by Jim Winstead <ji...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 01:15:11AM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> I guess I've missed a portion of this discussion, any reason why these
> aren't under cvs?

because putting generated files under cvs control is silly.

jim

Re: autoconf support?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: autoconf support?

Posted by Jim Winstead <ji...@apache.org>.

Re: autoconf support?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Jim Winstead wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 03:23:54PM -0500, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>
>>What do you think about putting together a test distribution from
>>the current CVS?  That way at least we can test everything out,
>>including the autoconf support.
>>

> give http://www.apache.org/~jimw/libapreq-1.0.tar.gz a spin.
>
> i'll make it available on cpan and httpd.apache.org/apreq on thursday
> with a few +1s.

That's the cvs version, right?

If so here are a few problems:

If running 'perl Makefile.PL' after 'make clean':

perl Makefile.PL
Checking if your kit is complete...
Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
	Makefile.in
	c/Makefile.in
Please inform the author.

---
INSTALL describes how to build without perl:

To build libapreq without the Makefile.PL, run:

  ./configure [--with-apache-includes=DIR] && make

but it doesn't work in cvs version, because one needs to run 'autoconf'
to create ./configure. Can we add this note to INSTALL?

nevertheless it fails with:

% ./configure --with-apache-includes=~/httpd/1.3/include
[...]
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
sed: can't read ./Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating c/Makefile
sed: can't read ./c/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating c/libapreq_config.h
c/libapreq_config.h is unchanged

Re: autoconf support?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Jim Winstead <ji...@apache.org> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 07:55:22PM -0500, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> > It seems to me that all we're really missing is some
> >
> >   -version-info 1:0:0
> >
> > setting somewhere.
>
> okay, i added it and updated the tarball at
> http://www.apache.org/~jimw/libapreq-1.0.tar.gz

+1 !!!

All modperl tests passed using the standard perl build process.

One issue that we may want to address now, or perhaps in a future
release- installing the shared libapreq libraries using ./configure
caused a "problem" when I subsequently installed the perl way.  What
happened is that Request.so and Cookie.so got linked against the
installed libapreq.so version, NOT the libapreq.a file.  When preloading
Apache::Request, I got the following error:

  Can't load '[...]/auto/Apache/Request/Request.so' for module
  Apache::Request: libapreq.so.1: cannot open shared object file:
  No such file or directory at [...]/DynaLoader.pm line 169.

I ran ldd on Request.so, and sure enough it linked
against /usr/local/lib/libapreq.so.1.0.0 instead of the
static libapreq.a.  So next I ran ldconfig to get rid of the
above error, and ran the modperl tests again, and everything
passed!

This may give Mac OS/X users a simpler approach to solving their
dynaloading problem with Apache::Cookie and Apache::Request.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: autoconf support?

Posted by Jim Winstead <ji...@apache.org>.

Re: autoconf support?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Jim Winstead <ji...@apache.org> writes:

> setting the library version number is described at:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_88.html#SEC88
>
> as it explains, the number uses on the library is not meant to be
> related to the release version. it's simply used by the runtime loader.

IMO, the point of calling this release of libapreq "version 1.x" is
that we are settling on a fixed C API.  That interface *should* match
the major release number.  The minor number and age needn't be synced
with the release, but the major number "aka the current interface"
SHOULD.  For instance, see

  http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_91.html#SEC91

Re: autoconf support?

Re: autoconf support?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> writes:

> It looks like this is building a 0.0.0 version on my box;
> I think it should be 1.0.0; however-
>
>   % grep VERSION Makefile
>   VERSION = 1.0.0
>   distdir = $(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION)
>
>   % grep VERSION c/Makefile
>   VERSION = 1.0.0
>   distdir = $(top_builddir)/$(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION)/$(subdir)
>
> That's got me stumped.

I've made some progress: by changing line 1638 in ltmain.sh
from

  set dummy $vinfo 0 0 0

  set dummy $vinfo 1 0 0

I managed to get a build of libapreq.so.1.0.0.  I'm certain
this isn't the right solution, but it fixes the problem.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: autoconf support?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> writes:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Jim Winstead wrote:
>
> > give http://www.apache.org/~jimw/libapreq-1.0.tar.gz a spin.
> >
> > i'll make it available on cpan and httpd.apache.org/apreq on thursday
> > with a few +1s.
>
> Builds and tests fine on Win32 ActivePerl with the latest
> cvs modperl.

+0

  % ./configure; make
  gcc -shared  apache_cookie.lo apache_request.lo
  apache_multipart_buffer.lo  -lc  -Wl,-soname
  -Wl,libapreq.so.0 -o .libs/libapreq.so.0.0.0
                                         ^

Re: autoconf support?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Jim Winstead wrote:

> give http://www.apache.org/~jimw/libapreq-1.0.tar.gz a spin.
>
> i'll make it available on cpan and httpd.apache.org/apreq on thursday
> with a few +1s.

Builds and tests fine on Win32 ActivePerl with the latest
cvs modperl.

best regards,
randy

Re: autoconf support?