Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/26 21:15:18 UTC

Geographical distance searching

It is a "best practice" to store the master copy of this data in a
relational database and use Solr/Lucene as a high-speed cache.
MySQL has a geographical database option, so maybe that is a better option
than Lucene indexing.

Lance

(P.s. please start new threads for new topics.)

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: aaah -- Just to be clear, if you could augment the doc list with a calculated
: field ('distance') you would not need to extend XMLWritter - correct?
:
: And then it would also work with the JSON/pyton/php etc writers.

i don't think i ever looked at the patch in question (is it in Jira?) but
i would definitely recommend going a route like this rather then adding a
new "primitive" type that all the ResponseWriters would need to know
about.

Personally: i don't even think "augmenting DocList" should be done ...
once the distance score calculations are done, and the documents are
ordered, returning the distance as numeric value for the clients is really
no different then returning highlighting info or score explanations ... it
should be a seperate piece of info in the response.

(i think if we had it to do all over again, i would suggest the same
approach for returning the "scores" of docs ... at the moment there is
ambiguity between the relevancy score and the possibility of a field named
"score")

-Hoss

Re: Geographical distance searching

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
patrick o'leary wrote:
> Actually misspoke it's the XMLWritter that's final that was a little
> annoying rather than a handler.
> Would have been nice to just extend that, and cut down on the code.

aaah -- Just to be clear, if you could augment the doc list with a
calculated field ('distance') you would not need to extend XMLWritter -
correct?

And then it would also work with the JSON/pyton/php etc writers.

ryan

Re: Geographical distance searching

Posted by patrick o'leary <po...@aol.com>.

--

Patrick O'Leary

AOL Local Search Technologies
Phone: + 1 703 265 8763

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles.
 Do you understand this?
And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat.
  - Albert Einstein

View Patrick O Leary's LinkedIn profileView Patrick O Leary's profile
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/pjaol>

Re: Geographical distance searching

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by patrick o'leary <po...@aol.com>.
Hi Ryan

Thanks for looking at it, yes definitely I'd like to contribute back.

I'm currently working out some of the logistics to make it easier to
maintain.
I think I'd need a centralized project to do the releases from, it will
have 2 sets
of patches in 2 different trunks (lucene & solr), until it becomes core
in lucene.
So a batteries included release will make that easier for users, and
developers alike.
Once it's accepted I'll move development to ASF.

SOLR-281 looks like it will solve one of my frustrations, another being
that the handlers were final ;-)
Is it close to being committed to the trunk?

Thanks

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
This looks good!

Posted by Doug Daniels <dd...@rooftophq.com>.
Hi Patrick,

Posted by patrick o'leary <po...@aol.com>.
Hi Doug

Posted by Doug Daniels <dd...@rooftophq.com>.
Hi Patrick,

Posted by patrick o'leary <po...@aol.com>.

--

Patrick O'Leary

Posted by Guillaume Smet <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Patrick,

On 9/27/07, patrick o'leary <po...@aol.com> wrote:
>  p.s after a little tidy up I'll be adding this to both lucene and solr's repositories if folks feel that it's a useful addition.

It's definitely very interesting. Did you compare performances of
Lucene with a database allowing you to perform real GIS queries?
I'm more a PostgreSQL guy and I must admit we usually use cube contrib
or PostGIS for this sort of thing and with both, we are capable to use
indexes for proximity queries and they can be pretty fast. Using the
method you used with MySQL is definitely too slow and not used as soon
as you have a certain amount of data in your table.

Guillaume

Re: Geographical distance searching

Posted by patrick o'leary <po...@aol.com>.
Might want to remove the *'s around that url
http://www.nsshutdown.com/projects/lucene/whitepaper/locallucene.htm

There's actually a download-able demo
http://www.nsshutdown.com/solr-example_s1.3_ls0.2.tgz
start it up as you would a normal solr example
$ cd solr-example/apache-solr*/example
$ java -jar start.jar

Open up firefox (sorry demo ui was quick and dirty so firefox only) and
go to http://localhost:8983/localcinema/
Make sure you specify localhost, there's a google maps key based upon
the url's domain, and click 'Go' at the bottom of the page.

The demo comes with some sample data already indexed for the NY region,
so have a play.

p.s after a little tidy up I'll be adding this to both lucene and solr's
repositories if folks feel that it's a useful addition.

Thanks
Patrick

--

Patrick O'Leary