Posted to dev@kylin.apache.org by Patrick McAnneny <pa...@leadkarma.com> on 2015/09/17 17:27:51 UTC

Hierarchy Dimension

The way I understand the hierarchy feature (lets say with three columns
specified) is the following: "create a roll-up aggregate grouping by this
column, then that column, then that column" Is this correct understanding?

 If I would want to query potentially based on any combination of those
three roll-ups, would it be best to create three separate hierarchy
dimensions or the combination of each? Would order even matter here? Order
does not usually matter in 'group by' statements

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
I see, that make sense, we are trying to add more context and tutorial
samples there:)

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Patrick McAnneny <pa...@leadkarma.com>.

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Patrick McAnneny <pa...@leadkarma.com>.

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Li Yang <li...@apache.org>.

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Patrick McAnneny <pa...@leadkarma.com>.

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Patrick McAnneny <pa...@leadkarma.com>.

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Sarnath <st...@gmail.com>.
Hierarchy indicates that drill down is possible.

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Patrick McAnneny <pa...@leadkarma.com>.
I see. How would this be different than a normal group by though when
running queries in Kylin sql? What is the difference between specifying
this hierarchy and just a normal dimension for each?

Re: Hierarchy Dimension

Posted by Li Yang <li...@apache.org>.