Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca> on 2024/12/27 05:08:16 UTC

Page and Column Breaks

Hi, all

I'd like to draw your attention to a number of new example files in
docs/examples/keeps_and_breaks. While not yet addressing keeps, these FO
examples cover most of the bases when it comes to page and column context
breaks, including page breaks in multicolumn text, and real column breaks.

These files, and the source changes just committed, represent my best
understanding of XSL-FO breaks. That is not to say that I am 100% correct - if
something seems fishy please let me know.

Line breaks I'm not personally going to look at any time soon, most likely.
After the next release, which I am planning to do on Friday Dec 29th, I will
quickly look at keeps touchup, and then it's footnotes, which I am anxious to
do. :-)

For reference, Flow.java is the linchpin of breaks, keeps, columns and quite a
bit else. It's a good source file to thoroughly understand. (When you do,
please write up a synopsis and send it to me - I need it. :-))

Regards, Arved Sandstrom

--
Reasonably Senior Software Type
e-plicity (www.e-plicity.com)

Re: Page and Column Breaks

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 03:54 PM 12/27/00 +1000, Keiron Liddle wrote:

>Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>
>> Hi, all
>>
>> Line breaks I'm not personally going to look at any time soon, most likely.
>> After the next release, which I am planning to do on Friday Dec 29th, I
will
>> quickly look at keeps touchup, and then it's footnotes, which I am
anxious to
>> do. :-)
>
>I have implemented some footnotes. I'm still considering how best to
>handle some of the things.
>The basic concepts are:
>
>- have a footnote element, this simply does a layout of the contained
>inline part to the current area.
>
>- the footnote body simply holds the block(s) of the footnote text.
>
>- since the current line being added to the layout is not yet added then
>add the footnote body to the block area so that it can add the pending
>footnotes to the footnote area after it adds the current line.
>
>- if a footnote does not fit on the current page then add the footnote
>to the pending footnotes for the page
>
>- the page sequence then transfers pending footnotes to the next page it
>creates, the new page immediately adds the pending footnotes.
>
>I'm not sure if I am doing some things the right way and it gets a bit
>confusing trying to organise the max heights of the various areas (added
>or not added etc.)
>
>I have attached the files I have changed for footnotes so far.
>Have a look and see what you think.
>
>Regards,
>Keiron.
>
>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\fnotescode.jar"

Hi, Keiron

Perfect. I'll review it and tweak and annotate, and try to get you feedback
quickly. The general approach is in line with the way I would have tackled
it, for sure.

This gives me more time to do keeps in a really thorough way, also.

Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)