Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Elliotte Harold <er...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/15 19:14:28 UTC

Pythin and MapMessage

Has anyone gotten PyActiveMQ to work with ActiveMQ and MapMessages? Are
there known bugs with this configuration?

One of our Python folks is pushing me to use TextMessages instead of
MapMessages because (he claims) MapMessages don't work in Python. Thoughts?

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
erharold@gmail.com

Re: Pythin and MapMessage

Posted by Albert Strasheim <13...@sun.ac.za>.
Hello

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Has anyone gotten PyActiveMQ to work with ActiveMQ and MapMessages? Are
> there known bugs with this configuration?
>
> One of our Python folks is pushing me to use TextMessages instead of
> MapMessages because (he claims) MapMessages don't work in Python. Thoughts?

There are tests for some of the MapMessage functionality in PyActiveMQ,
but I certainly can't rule out the possiblity of bugs. Note that
MapMessages only work with Openwire, i.e., you can't use Stomp and
MapMessages (unless I am very much mistaken).

If your Python folks can provide me with some detail of reproducing the
problem they're having, I'll make every effort to fix it.

Cheers,

Albert

Re: Pythin and MapMessage

Posted by Tom Samplonius <to...@samplonius.org>.
----- "Albert Strasheim" <fu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> P.S. My previous suggestion still stands: if you want to use
> PyActiveMQ
> with MapMessage, you need to use the Openwire wire format.

  Good suggestion.  Especially, since Stomp has some bugs in ActiveMQ, not just just in the C++ library.  Does anyone know of an OpenWire client for PHP?

  Password authentication doesn't work for Stomp (4.1.1+) right now, so turning Stomp on, is a big security hole.  And Stomp 4.1.1 will lose unacked Stomp messages, if the client exits without a disconnect.  This is fixed in current snapshots though.

Tom

Re: Pythin and MapMessage

Posted by Albert Strasheim <fu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Has anyone gotten PyActiveMQ to work with ActiveMQ and MapMessages? Are
> there known bugs with this configuration?
>
> One of our Python folks is pushing me to use TextMessages instead of
> MapMessages because (he claims) MapMessages don't work in Python. Thoughts?

I think I've figured out what happened...

Your Python folks were using Stomp with MapMessage, which causes
PyActiveMQ to throw a UserWarning containing the message "caught
unknown exception" instead of a more useful "No Stomp Support" message.

This incorrect message was due to a minor bug in AMQCPP. It should be
fixed shortly.

https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQCPP-131

I've updated the pyactivemq tests to check that the exception contains
a useful message.

Regards,

Albert