Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by James Sasitorn <ca...@owlnet.rice.edu> on 2000/06/19 19:13:43 UTC

entities and xml

I having problems rendering entities when i use
"<xsl:processing-instruction
name="cocoon-format">type="text/xml"</xsl:processing-instruction>"

The source .xml file has the entities:
&#913;&#960;

which get successfully rendered when type="text/html":
&Alpha;&pi

but using the pi shown above i get this nonsense in the rendered xml
source:
??

I'm using cocoon 1.7.4.. I read some messages in the cocoon-user archive
implying there was a bug in xerces-j, but I couldnt find any futher
follow-ups. What is the correct way to use entities (ie greek symbols) in
the xml/xsl file and get cocoon to translate or simply pass-through the
entities?

james

Seeking design wisdom

Posted by Willie Wheeler <ww...@andrew.cmu.edu>.
Hi all,

	I am new to Cocoon and I need some guidance as to proper application
design.  I am building an application that lets users take multiple choice
tests over the web.  I have a bunch of XML files that encode the static
question data.  The final HTML file must include not only the static
question, but also dynamic user-specific information such as info about
which choice the user selected or which hint the user requested.  It is not
an option to add hooks for dynamic content to the static question XML files,
since I don't control them.  Here is how I think processing flow should go:

	question.xml --> [XSLT processor] -->
	question_plus_userstuff.xml (an XSP file) --> [XSP processor] -->
	question_plus_userstuff producer output --> [XSLT processor] -->
	question_plus_userstuff.html

Is this the right way to do it on the Cocoon model?
	Also, regarding caching, am I right in thinking that a single cached
producer can handle different combinations of request params, or is a cached
producer associated with the static content *plus* some specific HTTP
request params?

	Thanks,
	Willie