Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Tapan Bhattacharya <ta...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2004/04/24 22:22:20 UTC

Ranking

I'm a newbie, so I apologize if this is too naive a question. In looking at some of the available documentation, I have not come across any reference to ranking results. How is it done in Lucene?

TB

---------------------------------

Re: Ranking

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Apr 24, 2004, at 11:25 PM, Tapan Bhattacharya wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt response. What happes when more than one
> document has the same score? How are the results then ranked?

Equivalent scoring documents are then subsorted by document insertion
order by default.

With the 1.4 version of Lucene, there is a very sophisticated way to
sort, and you could choose to sort by "relevance" (rank/score), and
then sub-sort by some other field value (ascending or descending) and
now within even the latest unreleased version a comparator feature was
added so you could develop your own mechanism for sorting given two
documents.

	Erik

Re: Ranking

Posted by Tapan Bhattacharya <ta...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Eric,

Re: Ranking

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Apr 24, 2004, at 4:22 PM, Tapan Bhattacharya wrote:
> I'm a newbie, so I apologize if this is too naive a question. In
> looking at some of the available documentation, I have not come across
> any reference to ranking results. How is it done in Lucene?

It uses this formula:

	<http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/
Similarity.html>