Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Herbert Fischer <he...@crossengage.io> on 2016/01/05 12:01:36 UTC

Node stuck when joining a Cassandra 2.2.0 cluster

We run a small Cassandra 2.2.0 cluster, with 5 nodes, on bare-metal servers
and we are going to replace those nodes with other nodes. I planned to add
all the new nodes first, one-by-one, and later remove the old ones,
one-by-one.

Although the first new node gets stuck when joining the cluster. I tried
two times, left the node from one day to another, and nothing. I also
executed `nodetool repair` in the new node.

All I see is a lot of errors like the following one referring to the old
nodes:

WARN  [MessagingService-Incoming-/10.10.10.10] 2016-01-05 09:34:26,784
IncomingTcpConnection.java:98 - UnknownColumnFamilyException reading from
socket; closing
org.apache.cassandra.db.UnknownColumnFamilyException: Couldn't find
cfId=19509db0-a011-11e5-9acd-73ec538206cc

I also see only one schema version with `nodetool describecluster`.

Snitch: org.apache.cassandra.locator.DynamicEndpointSnitch
Partitioner: org.apache.cassandra.dht.Murmur3Partitioner

Any idea about what might be wrong?

--
Herbert

Re: Node stuck when joining a Cassandra 2.2.0 cluster

Posted by Carlos Alonso <in...@mrcalonso.com>.
Hi Robert.

I'm thinking of upgrading hardware in place. Can you please elaborate a bit
more on how to use the auto_bootstrap=false + hibernate repair technique?

Cheers!

Carlos Alonso | Software Engineer | @calonso <https://twitter.com/calonso>

Posted by Herbert Fischer <he...@crossengage.io>.
Hi,