Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de> on 2013/05/17 09:38:41 UTC

Several help-id for the same command

Hi,

For some fields in the panels of the sidebar I see a new help-id. For
example the drop-down-list for the line style has got the help-id
SVX_HID_PROPERTYPANEL_LINE_TBX_STYLE. But the same list has already the
help-id .uno:XLineStyle for the field in the classical toolbar and the
help-id RID_SVXPAGE_LINE:LB:LINE_STYLE in the classical line property
dialog.

Is there a reason for different help-ids?

I can map the new help-id to the existing help text, but I'm not sure
whether I should do it. Or is it possible and better to use only one
help-id?

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Several help-id for the same command

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 17 May 2013 09:38, Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For some fields in the panels of the sidebar I see a new help-id. For
> example the drop-down-list for the line style has got the help-id
> SVX_HID_PROPERTYPANEL_LINE_**TBX_STYLE. But the same list has already the
> help-id .uno:XLineStyle for the field in the classical toolbar and the
> help-id RID_SVXPAGE_LINE:LB:LINE_STYLE in the classical line property
> dialog.
>
> Is there a reason for different help-ids?
>
> I can map the new help-id to the existing help text, but I'm not sure
> whether I should do it. Or is it possible and better to use only one
> help-id?

If there are reason to have different help-ids (which I cannot judge), the
best would be to use only 1 help-id, especially when we think a bit ahead
to the time where we replace the help system.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 17.05.2013 09:38, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some fields in the panels of the sidebar I see a new help-id. For
> example the drop-down-list for the line style has got the help-id
> SVX_HID_PROPERTYPANEL_LINE_TBX_STYLE. But the same list has already
> the help-id .uno:XLineStyle for the field in the classical toolbar and
> the help-id RID_SVXPAGE_LINE:LB:LINE_STYLE in the classical line
> property dialog.
>
> Is there a reason for different help-ids?

Yes, but not a good one.  The two line style drop downs (toolbar and
panel) look the same but at the moment they have different
implementations.  The panel implementation has been migrated from
Symphony, together with the help id.

But if it is possible for the help system, then we should use the
toolbar help id and drop the panel help id.  Both drop downs (should)
look and behave identical and therefore should have the same help.

> I can map the new help-id to the existing help text, but I'm not sure
> whether I should do it. Or is it possible and better to use only one
> help-id?

Please go ahead and remove or map the panel help id.

-Andre