Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by David Gerdt <Dg...@bju.edu> on 2008/06/20 21:58:25 UTC

Re: PCL font spacing [SOLVED]

When the problem first occurred, I tried a couple different fonts with the same results, which lead me to believe it was a Java problem. I eventually ran a test against every font available by default and the results were all over the board. Of the 35 fonts available to me, only two supported every variant I wanted to use (bold, italic, bold-italic, underline), and neither one of them were a suitable typeface for the document.

After running in circles for a while, I found that setting the JAVA_FONTS environment variable allowed me to pull new TTF files and use them. I was able to find a font that worked and am in good shape.

Should have caught on to this earlier, but thanks for the help/advice.

Dave

>>> Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> 6/16/2008 12:34 PM >>>
Looking again at your FO: you don't specify a font, so you operate on
the default font. Have you tried using a different font? And have you
played with the "text-rendering" setting?
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/output.html#pcl-configuration
Just to see if anything changes.

I can't think of other work-arounds that can help you. Normally,
negative spaces are possible but I don't think we support spaces/margins on
the inline-level, yet.

On 16.06.2008 18:20:51 David Gerdt wrote:
> I just tried Java 6....same results. *sigh*
>
> I'm pretty tied to rendering PCL directly without some intermediary
> process both due to speed concerns and the fact that I need to use the
> tray selection extension on this particular report.
>
> Maybe I will just have to replace this section with an image....or is
> there any way to incorporate negative margins? Absolute positioning
> maybe? None of those sound particularly enjoyable, but....

> No. The only option I see for you is that you generate PDF or PostScript
> and convert it to PCL using GhostScript if you cannot use PostScript in
> the first place. No chance that you can upgrade to a JDK 5 or 6? I can
> see that IBM provides that for AIX:
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/aix/service.html
>
> On 16.06.2008 15:32:11 David Gerdt wrote:
> > I ran the test again using the most recent build (ca142-20080515 (SR11)) with the same results. : (
> >
> > Is there a way to circumvent this by setting up fonts manually?

Jeremias Maerki