Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by Don Tam <dt...@consumercontact.com> on 2005/10/07 15:43:02 UTC

Explanation of authentication

Hi,

I couldn't gather any information on the WSS4J site, so I was wondering
if someone could explain to me how the authentication is done.  The way
I understand it is:

1.  Client requests a webservice
2.  Server asks for authentication
3.  Client grabs the password using a CallbackHandler and sets it on the
callback
4.  Server receives the usertoken, grabs the password it expects, and
sets it on a seperate callback
5.  Something somewhere compares the passwords on these two callbacks?

A problem I am having is that the server authenticates against the Linux
system's user's password, so I use getpwnam() to get the crypted
password, and set it on the callback on the server side.  How do I crypt
it the same way on the client side?  Don't I need the crypted password
from the server side as the salt?

Don Tam
Manager, Software Development
(416)493-6111x143
dtam@consumercontact.com

Re: Explanation of authentication

Posted by Don Tam <dt...@consumercontact.com>.
Hi,

That's what I figured too, so in my client CallbackHandler, I need to
have something that will crypt the plain text the same way that the Unix
password system does it.  I was wondering if anyone knew how.

Thanks,

Posted by Don Tam <dt...@consumercontact.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sanjesh Pathak <sa...@soapknox.com>.