Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2003/04/08 20:31:15 UTC

Re: Why is subversion so slow?

Thomas Lohmueller <t....@caresys.ch> writes:
> We have changed our repos (cvs-directory was about 20mb) from cvs to svn a few
> days ago.
>
> Subversion is much slower than cvs.
>
> Checkout of 1800kb-Project (370 files)
>
> svn: 2m6.457s
> cvs: 0m2.872s
>
> Server is a P3/800MHz with 600MB RAM. Client P3/1.2GHz 512MB RAM. Connected
> with switched 100MB-LAN.

That's a pretty incredible difference, yeah.

Can you set up `svnserve' and do a checkout over ra_svn, to compare?

-K

Re: Why is subversion so slow?

Posted by John Goerzen <jg...@complete.org>.
seanc@dimensionalrift.com writes:

>    Its still my experience (with 0.20.1) that a checkout with ra_svn over
> ssh2 is about 8x faster on my linux client than with a windows one.  In
> fact, the linux client performs almost as fast as local access.  This
> wouldn't bother me if it weren't that almost all the clients would be
> windows machines, if (when? :) I get Subversion rolled out at work.

I've had different experiences.  I just saw it take Subversion almost
3 hours to check out a Linux kernel 2.5 tree over a compressed ssh
tunnel with svnserve.  Now it's possible that there was some other
issue here, but downloading the same thing as a tarball and unpacking
it takes less than a minute.  From my completely unscientific
observation, it appeared characteristic of a system with lots of
back-and-forth that is thus susceptible to latency problems.

I postulated that disabling compression might actually help things,
since the compression hinders latency-sensitive applications.  But I
have not yet tested that hypothesis.

-- John

Re: Why is subversion so slow?

Posted by se...@dimensionalrift.com.
   Its still my experience (with 0.20.1) that a checkout with ra_svn over
ssh2 is about 8x faster on my linux client than with a windows one.  In
fact, the linux client performs almost as fast as local access.  This
wouldn't bother me if it weren't that almost all the clients would be
windows machines, if (when? :) I get Subversion rolled out at work.

    Its not that annoying though since so many other things are instant
compared to cvs (status, the diffs, etc) . . .

RE: Why is subversion so slow?

Posted by Russ Freeman <ru...@ergnosis.com>.
>It would be realy nice to use apache as svn-server but it's too slow for
>everyday use. Svnserve over ssh is a good solution for me.

You can run both servers side-by-side apparently, catering for users with
differing needs, at different times.

Russ

---

Re: Why is subversion so slow?

Posted by Thomas Lohmueller <t....@caresys.ch>.
svnserve is mich faster...

28 seconds for this project but as slow as dav over a 64kb isdn-line. Probably
an ssh tunnel with compression turned on will fix that.

Many thanks for your help.

It would be realy nice to use apache as svn-server but it's too slow for
everyday use. Svnserve over ssh is a good solution for me.

btw. subversion is great.... I love the move and copy-feature.