Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Henrik Hofmann <He...@creon-it.com> on 2001/11/15 16:14:36 UTC

Strange Netscape Behavior

Hi,
I've got some trouble using Netscape. First I made a page and just used
Iexplorer. Everyting looks normal. Now I tried to watch the same page in
Netscape. I expected some minor differences but Netscape even up the
pages source code. It puts some extra characters between every normal
character. I tried to copy a part of the source code into outlook to
show you how it looks but outlook takes this characters out and
everything looks normal again.

On the other hand. I can view the sample cocoon pages with Netscape.

Could this be some encoding problem or something else?

bye

Re: Strange Netscape Behavior

Posted by Ling Kok Choon <ko...@brel.com>.
Hi,

   This is the encoding problem, try to change the encoding on the sitemap :

the example is :

  <map:serializers default="html">
   <map:serializer name="links"  src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.LinkSerializer"/>
   <map:serializer name="xml"    mime-type="text/xml"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer"/>
   <map:serializer name="html"   mime-type="text/html"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.HTMLSerializer">

## try to use encoding ISO-8859-1 because netscape not support well encoding UTF-8
   <encoding>ISO-8859-1</encoding>
##

   </map:serializer>
   <map:serializer name="fo2pdf" mime-type="application/pdf"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.FOPSerializer"/>
   <map:serializer name="vrml"   mime-type="model/vrml"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.TextSerializer"/>
   <map:serializer name="wap"    mime-type="text/vnd.wap.wml"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
    <doctype-public>-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN</doctype-public>
    <doctype-system>http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml</doctype-system>
   </map:serializer>

hope this help,

regards,
Kok Choon.

Name: Ling Kok Choon
E-mail: Ling Kok Choon <ko...@brel.com>
Date: 11/16/01
Time: 10:09:29

This message was sent by Z-Mail Pro - from NetManage
NetManage - delivers Standards Based IntraNet Solutions

Re: Strange Netscape Behavior

Posted by David Rosenstrauch <da...@dti.net>.
Maybe you're outputting as unicode instead of ascii and Netscape is mucking it up somehow.

Try

<?xml version="1.0"?>

or

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>