Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Muhammad Mudassar <mu...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/08 12:15:01 UTC

help regarding HadoopDB

Hi all,
I am trying to run HadoopDB on single node along with mysql on an ubuntu
machine. I have done with basic configurations by following HadoopDB Quick
Start Guide at http://hadoopdb.sourceforge.net/guide/
I am able to create and query tables from hive shell to those tables which
are stored in HDFS. and plus i have generated and uploaded catloge
successfully. but i cannot understand how to register mysql tables to the
internal catloge which is MetaStore to perform queries from hive shell over
Mysql tables.

waiting for some quick response.
--
Regards

Muhammad Mudassar

Re: help regarding HadoopDB

Posted by Sean Bigdatafun <se...@gmail.com>.
(My limited understanding is that HadoopDB is far from production-ready.
Correct me if I am wrong)

It uses M/R to build the index, and from thereon, it serves query from the
indexed data stored on PostgreSQL storage engine. I do not fully understand
how they provide a JDBC interface.

Put it in another way, it's a batch system just like Hive (but it
outperforms Hive because of the pre-built index).

But looks that its performance is far from satisfying.
http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~kmsalem/courses/CS848W10/presentations/Chalamalla-HadoopDB.pdf

Regards,
Sean

Re: help regarding HadoopDB