Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@cs.berkeley.edu> on 2013/08/16 00:55:37 UTC

Next Spark user meetup: Shark in Yahoo's Advertising Data Platforms on Tue, Aug 27

Hi guys,

The next SF Bay Area Spark user meetup will feature speakers from Yahoo!
talking about how they are using Shark/Spark. We are also looking for
speakers for future meetups. Please contact me if you are interested in
giving a talk in Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec.

Shark in Yahoo's Advertising Data Platforms

In Yahoo!'s advertising and data platforms, we instrument and mine vast
amounts of data to come up with insights into advertising effectiveness,
and measure and improve the effectiveness of advertising reach. Over the
last couple of quarters we have been prototyping Shark for some of the use
cases and enhancing Shark to work effectively with our datasets.

In this talk, we first discuss some of our contributions to the Spark and
Shark open source ecosystem, including an in-memory columnar compression
module, followed by what we are planning down the road. We then discuss
some of our use cases that involve advanced algorithms and how we implement
these algorithms on top of Spark and Shark to provide interactive,
insightful analytics to our data scientists.

You can sign up for the meetup at
http://www.meetup.com/spark-users/events/134582432/

--
Reynold Xin, AMPLab, UC Berkeley