Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2015/01/15 00:44:08 UTC

Re: Celebrating 15 years of open source success -- ApacheCon NA!

On 29/12/2014 Kay Schenk wrote:
> Participate in
> ApacheConNA in Austin, TX, April 13-15, 2015, http://apachecon.com/. ...
> A suggested list of topics can be found at:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=50855951
> Proposals can be submitted until Feb. 1, 2015 via the following link :
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america/program/cfp

I've seen almost no feedback. I looked at the official CFP link to see
if we missed something but nothing relevant was submitted after 1
December 2014. Unless Kay received some replies to the mail sent to
announce@, we have no volunteers yet.

We started with 10 talks, but we'll have to downsize if we don't have
enough speakers. So, please, take your time to see if you could present
one of the following talks (this is a copy-paste from the above page):

1 State: A perspective of our first 15 years, and the current state of
the project
2 Future: Outlook for OpenOffice, 2015 and beyond
3 Development: Significant recent or foreseen technical improvements in
OpenOffice; the architecture of OpenOffice as it relates to open source
development/maintenance.
3a Improvements to core code (Modules vs complete "office" suite)
3b Improvements to the development process (IDEs, etc.)
3c Improvements to core libraries, etc.
3d Incorporating other open source products or ideas
4 Localization: L10N community, translation, Pootle server
5 QA: Quality assurance processes, Bugzilla, bug triaging, testing tools
6 Documentation and Marketing: Documentation, Trademarks, OpenOffice
Reputation, OpenOffice in the Press (Documentation and Marketing could
also be split)
7 ODF: The relationship of the ODF standard and OpenOffice. How did this
standard contribute to making OpenOffice open source?
8 Adoption: How did making OpenOffice open source contribute to its
adoption by business enterprises; Migration use cases.
9 Ecosystem: A panel of OpenOffice downstream users (Symphony,
NeoOffice,  LibreOffice,  Go-oo) discussing their use of OpenOffice code
and what they've contributed back.
10 Mobile: How desktop based office systems will adopt to responsive
design in mobile devices

Feel free to add more talks, but only if you volunteer to deliver them
yourself!

We can wait a few days, even a week, but then we'll have to cut the
topics we can't cover.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Celebrating 15 years of open source success -- ApacheCon NA!

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Kay Schenk wrote:
> I haven't received any messages privately and, looking at the CFP
> submissions, nothing has been submitted for OpenOffice.  The involvement of
> OpenOffice  at ApacheConEU in November was good,  Since then, we've been
> going through a bit of a reorganization.  This has probably contributed to
> the lack of involvement in ApacheConNA in Austin.  Unless enough proposals
> are submitted today, I don't think we'll have a track at ApacheConNA in
> April. Should we notify someone?

The main issue is that volunteers from North America have been silent so
far on who is attending the conference. Many people are perfectly
qualified to give a talk, but they need to be at the conference! Again:
if someone is attending (or considering to attend) please let us know
and we might accept some last-minute submissions. Deadline is February 1st.

I already notified dev@community that at best we'll be able to allocate
talks for a one-day track (5-6 talks).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Celebrating 15 years of open source success -- ApacheCon NA!

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
wrote:

> [...]
>> topics we can't cover.
>>

> At this point, we would have to cut the whole track, unless Kay received
> some answers to the announce@ post. I haven't looked in the submissions
> system, so if you submitted something in the last 10 days there (or if you
> do in future) make sure to send a note here too.
>

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

I haven't received any messages privately and, looking at the CFP
submissions, nothing has been submitted for OpenOffice.  The involvement of
OpenOffice  at ApacheConEU in November was good,  Since then, we've been
going through a bit of a reorganization.  This has probably contributed to
the lack of involvement in ApacheConNA in Austin.  Unless enough proposals
are submitted today, I don't think we'll have a track at ApacheConNA in

MzK

"An old horse for a long, hard road,
 a young pony for a quick ride."
                        -- Texas Bix Bender

Re: Celebrating 15 years of open source success -- ApacheCon NA!

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.