Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Fabian Cretton <Fa...@hevs.ch> on 2014/09/10 08:57:25 UTC

External Data Sources - further thougths/real users need - LDClients

Hi,

In a previous thread, I thought about managing External Data Sources as the LDCache functionality.

Now I am thinking it can be seen more like an "enhanced" import functionality.

My question here is to know if it would be 'odd' to base the 'enhanced' import functionality by using LDClients ?
It seems to me that the current import don't rely on LDClients, but solely on "RDFImporterImpl", hence my question.

Thank you
Fabian

Re: External Data Sources - further thougths/real users need - LDClients

Posted by Jakob Frank <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Fabian,

On 10 September 2014 08:57, Fabian Cretton <Fa...@hevs.ch> wrote:
> My question here is to know if it would be 'odd' to base the 'enhanced'
> import functionality by using LDClients ?
> It seems to me that the current import don't rely on LDClients, but solely
> on "RDFImporterImpl", hence my question.
there is an important conceptual difference between the Import and LDClient:

Both are adding triples (or quadruples) to the RDF store, but:
* Import is dataset based, i.e. you can import any combination of
resources in one file.
* LDClient is resouces based, i.e. you import data starting from a
known resource (URI) which has to be resolvable via http(s)

Most usecases of one can be implemented using the other, the overlap
is quite big: You can convert/enrich/ground the data before adding it
to RDF store, create modules for custom formats, etc...
If you have complex constructs with anonymous nodes (BNodes),
importing is the easier way.

As I said, the distinction is primarily conceptual, and from what I
understood of your use-case the "Import" would be the way to go.

Best,
Jakob