Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by pr...@jayritchie.com on 2004/07/26 17:46:56 UTC

OutputDebugStringAppender and VS Output Window

I was expecting OutputDebugStringAppender to write to the Visual Studio output window as a debug.write call would. Is my assumption incorrect? (Note that this is the output window, not the console window.)

I have confirmed other logging appenders work and the OutputDebugStringAppender output does appear in a debug viewer, like sysinternals.

However, I'd prefer to not have to use an external viewer.

Re: OutputDebugStringAppender and VS Output Window

Posted by Kenny Pitt <kp...@spymac.com>.
professionallists@jayritchie.com wrote:

> I was expecting OutputDebugStringAppender to write to the Visual
> Studio output window as a debug.write call would. Is my assumption
> incorrect? (Note that this is the output window, not the console
> window.)

How did you start your application?  Visual Studio only hooks the
OutputDebugString output if the process is running in the Visual Studio
debugger.  If you start the application from Explorer or a command
prompt, Visual Studio won't hook the output unless you then attach to
the process.