Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2004/03/14 10:12:41 UTC

[Request] Make gump build directories browsable

Hi,

Would it be possible to make the gump build directories browsable. It's
just a pain to debug gump and find where the problem is. Making these
directories visible will help a lot.

<rant>
I've been trying to debug a cactus gump build problem for a week now
with no success. Every time I have to rely on the good will on one of
the gumpmeister to send me some files... I don't think this is how it
should work. Also, my time is not indefinitely flexible. During the week
and week end, I have some free time but it's not linear across the days.
That is, if I get a slot of a few hours on Saturday, I'd like to use it.
But I can't as I'm relying on others! As an example, I've asked for
files for the past 4 days and I still haven't received them...

If it's happening I guess it's happening for other projects too.

Honestly I'm failing to see the point of Gump now. I used to like it but
it's too energy-consuming to fix something. I used to like it when it
was publishing the Cactus web site automatically (Stefano seems to be
saying it's impossible because of security issues but it *WAS* doing it
in the past - Ask Sam). As a consequence, I've had to set up my own
continuous build at home... and thus I don't really need Gump anymore as
my own build satisfies my needs and those of our community (yeah it
doesn't build against CVS HEAD of dependencies but it's ok. Whenever
there's a new release of a dependency I update it).
</rant>

Thoughts?

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: [Request] Make gump build directories browsable

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vincent Massol wrote:

> Thanks Stefano. I have been one of the first adopter of Gump (I have
> even used it on a big project at work! :-)). I do not wish to depart.
> However, in the past I had enough energy to keep fixing things even it
> wasn't easy (like I had to install Gump on my machine, etc).
> Unfortunately I have shifted my interest to some other areas and I don't
> have much time to invest in learning Gump itself.
>
> I do understand that the Gump community is working towards addressing
> these issues so I'll be patient! :-)
>
> Leo has kindly offered to create an account for me on his machine. I
> think I'll take the offer so that I can try debugging the Cactus gump
> build.

Thanks much for understanding, Vincent.

I, from my part, will do my best to make gump the social glue of the
foundation and this will mean both nag people sometimes, but try to do
it well (only when it makes sense to do) make it way less painful for
them to cooperate and fill the joy of a clockwork that ticks well most
of the times ;-)

During the making of such clockwork (as it is right now), the ride will
be bumpy, but it's enough to rant a little and we do listen ;-)

Thanks for sticking with us, I'm sure you won't regret it.

--
Stefano.

RE: [Request] Make gump build directories browsable

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Thanks Stefano. I have been one of the first adopter of Gump (I have
even used it on a big project at work! :-)). I do not wish to depart.
However, in the past I had enough energy to keep fixing things even it
wasn't easy (like I had to install Gump on my machine, etc).
Unfortunately I have shifted my interest to some other areas and I don't
have much time to invest in learning Gump itself.

I do understand that the Gump community is working towards addressing
these issues so I'll be patient! :-)

Leo has kindly offered to create an account for me on his machine. I
think I'll take the offer so that I can try debugging the Cactus gump
build.

Thanks
-Vincent

transitioning

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Vincent Massol wrote:
> Would it be possible to make the gump build directories browsable.

I don't think this is a really good idea for lsd, since the setup over
there makes it a little difficult to ensure that private stuff remains
private. If someone can write a reasonably secure httpd config snippet
that exposes just the source+build trees, that would be okay with me.
But it might make more sense to do this on moof...

> It's just a pain to debug gump and find where the problem is. Making these
> directories visible will help a lot.

<snip type="rant"/>

> Thoughts?

we hear your pain! There's actually a lot of thoughts floating around
this mailing list lately (having trouble keeping up :D) on approving
half a dozen aspects of gump; do feel free to add your own thoughts
about how to make this stuff less of a pain.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: [Request] Make gump build directories browsable

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> wrote:

> Is that really called "redistributing"?

I'm a German native speaker, in case you are questioning my language
8-)

Providing a download is a form of distribution, yes.

> Also, what about this page: http://gump.covalent.net/jars/latest/?
> It does the same thing, no?

Only for jars created by projects that have a <redistributable/>
element or inherit it from the module or even repository definition
that applies to them.

> In any case, Gump could simply not build non-redistributable jars
> (it could simply have them installed as packages).

There are quite a few (L)GPLed projects that Gump builds, and it
should IMHO.  Those are perfectly legal to distribute but we don't do
so because of Apache in-house policies.

We'd loose the early warning feature, which is something I wouldn't
want to loose just because a given project has elected a license I
don't agree with.  Note that the early warning works in two ways.  If
a projects builds using Ant and breaks because of a change in Ant, I
want to know about it, no matter which license the project uses.

Stefan

RE: [Request] Make gump build directories browsable

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Is that really called "redistributing"? Also, what about this page:
http://gump.covalent.net/jars/latest/? It does the same thing, no?

In any case, Gump could simply not build non-redistributable jars (it
could simply have them installed as packages).

It seems to me that if Apache has some local policies preventing
distributing some jars then these jars should not be built *at all* on
Apache infrastructure.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.