Posted to dev@pagespeed.apache.org by Otto van der Schaaf <os...@we-amp.com> on 2018/12/02 19:45:51 UTC

32 bits releases: in or out

Hi all,

I'm working on producing artifacts for a first incubator release candidate,
and I am reminded by the process that producing 32 bits artifacts takes a
lot
of time and effort compared to the 64 bits ones (about 90:10 this time).

The release process for 32 bits keeps breaking on all kinds of things.
Getting to the 64 bits artifacts has consistently been a much nicer
experience.

We are not testing 32 bits in CI.  And I suspect that demand for 32 bits
releases
is pretty small. (and if someone really wants it: building from source on
an actual 32 bits
system is a fairly smooth process).

So I wonder: should we stop releasing for 32-bits systems?
Any thoughts?

Otto

Re: 32 bits releases: in or out

Posted by Joshua Marantz <jm...@google.com.INVALID>.
+1 -- let's stop releasing binaries for 32-bit systems and see if any
issues arise.

Re: 32 bits releases: in or out

Posted by Otto van der Schaaf <os...@we-amp.com>.
Well, next to a source tarball, .rpm and .deb packages are products of the
currently documented
release process; I stashed my work on a potential first RC here which has
the 64 bits versions:
https://www.modpagespeed.com/release_archive/1.14.36.1-incubator-RC0/

I'll continue following the release process later this week, after doing
some further manual sanity
checks on the source tarball.

Otto

Re: 32 bits releases: in or out