Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2013/01/02 23:34:34 UTC

Volunteers for a FOSDEM "Hacking OpenOffice" tutorial session?

The FOSDEM schedule is shaping quite nicely, with a wide assortment of
presentations on the main development areas of OpenOffice.

But we could still squeeze in, if we have a developer willing to take
care of it, a tutorial on how a newcomer can get involved in coding for
OpenOffice. Taking for granted that a developer willing to build
OpenOffice can manage with the instructions on the wiki, this tutorial
would give practical advice on the tools (IDE, debugger... free and open
source preferred, but if you find other solutions more effective be
honest!), a rough overview of the code (main directories under "main";
basic coding standards) and ideally a few easy challenges or "nice to
have" enhancements with an entry point to the code (example: we would
like to complete our OpenFormula support; function XYZ is missing; to
see how it can be implemented, look at file abc.cxx).

So it would not be a presentation, but a tutorial answering the question
"How I can I help developing OpenOffice?". Materials could then be
recycled for the Orientation pages and so on. It needn't be long,
something basic that fits in a 45-minute slot would already be enough,
we have a booth and plenty of time for follow-up if needed.

Now... Would this be worth pursuing? And, most important, do we have a
volunteer willing to give this tutorial on February 2 at FOSDEM in
Brussels? Even if it is a "special" presentation we would host it in our
devroom schedule.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Volunteers for a FOSDEM "Hacking OpenOffice" tutorial session?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 03/01/2013 Albino Biasutti Neto wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Now... Would this be worth pursuing?
> Yeah !
> I see this good events as an marketing for AOO.

Me too, but we would need a volunteer in the next 24 hours, since we
must then finalize the FOSDEM schedule and this tutorial would be added
as a "special talk" to our devroom schedule.

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
Hi

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Now... Would this be worth pursuing?

Yeah !

I see this good events as an marketing for AOO. The search to
development is important.

"Hackfest AOO" :-)

--
Albino