Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com> on 2006/01/03 19:55:54 UTC

Re: Licensing table?

Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/29/2005 12:49:14 PM:

> My questions in summary are, are BSD style licenses compatible with
> jakarta apache projects in such a way that outside project code can
> be downloaded with these licenses from the ASF? (assuming that the
> normal licensing inclusion/other guidelines are followed) If there
> is no definitive answer to it yet, what might be the best next step
> I can take to get more clarification?
>
> jesse

An official policy listing how to treat each license is in the works.
However, I think the clear consensus is that at least for BSD licenses
there is no issue with incorporating that code into an Apache project.
There is an ongoing discussion on whether it is best to license that code
out from Apache under the ASL or to pass on the BSD license.
Jeff

Staff Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
(web) http://www.beff.net/